Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I would avoid single cast on aka backward loop. It's easy, but is hard to knit into sometimes and most people find when they get to the end of the row it's a big long loop. He knitted cast on is probably easiest for a new knitter, but my favorite is long tail.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

This sounds vaguely familiar...

After dating a professional knitter for nearly 2 years, I decided at the age of 52 to learn how myself. (There's a whole story to go along with that, but I won't get into it.) I had the advantage of learning from a regular Jedi Master of Yarn (seriously, she's amazing) and knowing that I probably couldn't get myself into more trouble than she could get me out of (knitting, at least). My first project seemed simple enough, but in retrospect it probably wasn't the best choice for a first-timer. I was -- literally -- learning how to increase from the first knit stitch. I learned increases and decreases before I learned how to cast on (beyond a slip knot that is). It wasn't a great way to start.

So in addition to the sage advice already offered here about big, light colored yarn and big needles that aren't metal (something ELSE I had to learn the hard way) I would say:
(1) Be prepared to do a lot of stuff wrong in the beginning.
(2) Don't be afraid to pull it out and start over.
(3) It's knitting, not rocket science. (That was a hard one for me!)
(4) Yarn is not(!) a material that lends itself to close tolerance work. It stretches, bends, frizzes and splits and can seem downright spiteful at times. Don't take it personally.
(5) Probably the most important mantra you can learn is "trust the process". Because when you start something, you probably won't be able to see that it's doing what you want it to do until you get further along. So you have to trust that what you're doing will give you the result you're after, even if it doesn't look like it on the first row.
(6) Breathe. No, seriously! I can't tell you how many times I caught myself holding my breath. In fact, I didn't even realize I was doing it at first. But when I started learning k2tog it took me so long to get the first 2 (absurdly tight) stitches knit together that when I (finally) exhaled I got a bit of a head rush from the sudden restoration of oxygen to my brain.
(7) Even the experts do stuff wrong. You will too. And it's okay.

And finally... welcome to the dark side. (bwahahahaaa) You'll love it here. We have cookies.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Excellent advice mojo11!!! Welcome to our forum, I think you're going to be an excellent addition to our membership.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Oh yeah... and I almost forgot:
(8) If it doesn't show, don't worry about it! ;-)
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That rule is "if you can't see it from the back of a galloping horse 20 feet away, don't worry about it."

I always tell people to put their knitting down and back off about 6 feet and if they can't see whatever mistake they're fretting about, it doesn't matter.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

The trouble I have with that is that I'm far sighted, so I might not see the thing I'm fretting over, but I'll find a dozen OTHER things to worry about. Which leads me to:

(9) "That'll come out in blocking."
Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,730 Times in 2,298 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
The trouble I have with that is that I'm far sighted, so I might not see the thing I'm fretting over, but I'll find a dozen OTHER things to worry about. Which leads me to:

(9) "That'll come out in blocking."

Forget that! Cut to the chase - Use acrylics and never mind blocking! that's why the goddess created washers and dryers! Put technology to work.

Hey, you better stick around. Your perspective and way with words is great. If you leave we might put some bad juju on your yarn and needles.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Yeah, blocking doesn't cure everything even on a blockable yarn. You have to learn to overlook some things and just remember it's HAND KNIT and humans do make errors. If I can I go back and fix. If it's too far back I don't usually bother unless it's huge and glaring on the front of say an all stockinette sweater.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
egl
Casting On

Hi,
Im a beginner too and a few years back my sister gave me the book Teach yourself to knit by Evie Rosen, the scarf and hat set are a nice start, i just finished and yet to put together the sweater in the book, I enjoyed learning with this book, ( from Leisure arts) any questions ask away,
egl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Forget that! Cut to the chase - Use acrylics and never mind blocking! that's why the goddess created washers and dryers! Put technology to work.

Hey, you better stick around. Your perspective and way with words is great. If you leave we might put some bad juju on your yarn and needles.
One of my current projects is a Psychedelic Pony Named Madge (long story) that's mostly constructed of Encore bulky. But for stuff I'd wear...