Old 12-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Yeah, blocking doesn't cure everything even on a blockable yarn. You have to learn to overlook some things and just remember it's HAND KNIT and humans do make errors. If I can I go back and fix. If it's too far back I don't usually bother unless it's huge and glaring on the front of say an all stockinette sweater.
You mean blocking won't fix everything???

Actually, I don't go back and fix ANYthing unless it's really obvious. And sometimes even then I just say "It's like those Persian rug makers who put a flaw in their work on purpose... Yeah, that's it!"
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
You mean blocking won't fix everything???

Actually, I don't go back and fix ANYthing unless it's really obvious. And sometimes even then I just say "It's like those Persian rug makers who put a flaw in their work on purpose... Yeah, that's it!"
These comments of fixing things are just what I need today. I'm making socks on sz. 0 (ZERO) needles w/ about 12 st/in and several rows back the stitch count was off by 1 and I just found it was missing. Just for the heck of it I tried correcting it but after a few tries I added a stitch on the current row and on I go. The (un)darned thing will be on my foot and I don't think I'll notice that little mess up, ever, unless I insist upon thinking about it.

Quote:
That rule is "if you can't see it from the back of a galloping horse 20 feet away, don't worry about it."
I'd be more worried about mounted archers than someone looking for a mistake in my knitting.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
Antares
Working the Gusset

The only other thing I would add to Mojo's excellent list is that you may have days (or weeks or even years) when you wrap the yarn "backwards" around a certain (or both) needles when making stitches. Wrapping it a certain way will make twisted stitches and wrapping it another way makes untwisted stitches. Note that neither of these is "wrong."

But let's just say you make something with twisted stitches and display it in public and then some well-meaning know-it-all comes along and says to you, "Hey, you knitted this incorrectly; all your stitches are twisted."

Here's the proper response: "I knit it that way on purpose" Then ask the person "Say, do you know the Tooth Fairy, too?"

When she asks you why you say that, just smile sweetly and say, "Because knitting police, like the Tooth Fairy, don't exist!"
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'd be more worried about mounted archers than someone looking for a mistake in my knitting.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
The only other thing I would add to Mojo's excellent list is that you may have days (or weeks or even years) when you wrap the yarn "backwards" around a certain (or both) needles when making stitches...
I can do better than that. Twice I've knit several rounds going in the wrong direction. The first time it was a separate piece that I'd just started so I could just turn it inside out and horse on. The second time... not so much. It was then that I decided that the term "frog" must have come into the knitting vernacular as a "radio edit" of what you actually want to say as you're yanking out half an hour's work. That's my theory anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
That would be problematic, yes. Unless you were knitting chain mail perhaps.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
That would be problematic, yes. Unless you were knitting chain mail perhaps.
I recall a thread about dragon skin. I want to try it. I have some yarn that when knitted looks a lot like chain mail.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #28
Antares
Working the Gusset

I must say, you folks give excellent (albeit odd) advice for newbies. Of course, we may very well have frightened Charlene away by now!

But that possibility lends itself to yet another fact of knitting: It helps to be quirky in all phases of the knitting cycle!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #29
CharleneB
Casting On

Just an update for you all that have given me advice:

I casted with the single cast and the long tail off and on, and I gotta say I like the long tail! Then I worked up to knitting and purling (which purling was harder for some reason for me to get). I have purposely dropped stitches today to see what they look like, and how to fix them. Plus I knitted a few rows to figure out how to count the suckers...again, harder than it sounded at first. I remembered how to hold the yarn from crochet, so some of it is just what feels right. The thing now I think might freak me out a bit will be when I switch out my yarn to a new ball. I am just playing around with making mistakes on purpose and seeing how to fix them. But I am not sweating the small oops here or there if I have to search for it. I am making a weird little knitted block (that will probably turn into a pot holder or something) of all kinds of stuff to see how this all comes together.

I am just in the "how do I fix this" before I get to the good stuff, like stitch patterns. However, I am really enjoying just vegging out with my ball of yarn! I think I am an official addict
CharleneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #30
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

CB, I'm so glad you're a hardy soul and didn't scare away so easily. I hope that somewhere in all this chatter you've found something useful. I guess we failed to mention that almost everybody finds purling harder. You said you crochet and remember how to hold the yarn, does that mean you're holding it in your left hand and knitting Continental? Some people work both knits and purls better English style, I can't manage purling English and can barely do knits. I'm glad there are no knitting police. There are other styles of knitting, Portugese, Eastern European (maybe the same as Russian) and combined. If you're interested in checking any of them and can't find them, someone here can probably provide a link. You should, if you haven't already, join www.ravelry.com. It's free and you get access to tons of patterns and there is other useful stuff there as well. You'll want to learn to tink...that's knit spelled backwards and it's a way of taking stitches back to the left needle one at a time. It sounds like you're making great progress.

The Frog said, "Rip it! Rip it!" and I did.