Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
CoolKnitter
Casting On

Which method to learn first for knitting socks?
Hi. I am not absolutely new to knitting but am fairly new. I have knit a few successful and pretty hats. I'd very much like to learn to knit socks now. I want to jump straight to learning how to knit two-at-a-time toe-up socks on one long circular needle, using the magic loop method. I don't see myself knitting socks any other way once I have mastered this one. However, I have read that I should first familiarize myself with other methods of knitting socks before I jump to this one.
Is this true? If yes, what other methods should I learn before I get to this method?
Any tips or advise would help me a lot! Thanks
CoolKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

I recommend learning the method you want to use--you're much more likely to stick with it, and why learn a bunch of other methods if you don't think you'll ever use them?

There are some great videos on YouTube for making socks in all kinds of methods, including the one you mentioned. Verypinkknits has some good ones, but you may need to purchase her pattern (on the other hand, you can often use a similar free pattern and just follow her techniques).

If you get stuck and the videos don't help, come back here and ask the KH resident experts. They're sure to unstick you!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,762 Times in 2,325 Posts
I agree, learn what you want to do. If you want to understand the process of toe-up socks, here's a good overview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYDzY-DEiQY She does a Fleegle heel where you increase the stitches on the heel side then decrease via short rows. Others use the short rows to shape the heel entirely. Don't worry about that just yet, just know that as you explore sock knitting you'll encounter the different methods.

I learned to knit socks doing Lifestyle Socks, I like this method because you don't need to make a gauge swatch. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-swatch-needed

Here's a great tutorial on socks, whichever way you want to do them. http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/ The author has a sense of humor, crucial if you want to learn to do 2 @ time.

Some of us are knitting socks right now in a sort of it-just-worked-out-that-way KAL. http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111195

If you are new to magic loop, you'll want to work on that first. http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques If you scroll down you'll find Amy's video tutorial. Then you can learn to cast on for two at a time anything http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques.

There are a number of ways to cast on for the toe and I won't overload you more with those right now. When you get ready to look at casting on for toes, just ask.

I started knitting toe-up socks, have done top-down but really can't see why I'd want to do them that way again. I've yet to actually use a pattern for socks. I even use the toe cast on to start mittens.

One last thing, I suggest you do your first pair in worsted weight or dk yarn. You'll have a nice thick pair of socks fairly quickly and you can enjoy the results of your learning faster.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
CoolKnitter
Casting On

Thank you so so much!! This is really helpful. I can't wait to get started.
CoolKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,762 Times in 2,325 Posts
Great. I waxed rather enthusiastic. I'm just glad I didn't scare you off. The links I gave you represent a lot of searching, watching, reading, and frustration for me when I decided to do socks and couldn't quite get together with a pattern. Let us know how your progress goes, OK? Socks are my current knitting addiction. I had crocheted socks but they cannot compare with knitted ones.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
ChatyKathy
Ribbing the Cuff

I have done socks with 2 circular needles. I like the 2 socks at a time toe-up. I have tried it from the cuff to toe but like toe up better. I like the 2 needles best. I learned by watching dvd's as I have dial up and it wont load videos. Also this way I can always watch them and share with others too. I havent tried the magic loop but many like it, I am just doing them this way for now and like it where I dont get 1 sock syndrome. Been there and wont do it again. Good luck
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
crocee
Knitting the Flap

I learned to knit socks using the come to silver pattern and method of making socks
crocee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree with others that you can go ahead and start with the sock method you described. There are some details to master, and GrumpyGramma has given you links for those. You can always practice the skills on swatches before putting them all together to make socks. Personally, I use the Lifestyle Toe-Up sock method every time, but I do a magic CO and a Sweet Tomato Heel. I always do my socks at least 2 at a time (I've also done 4AAT and 6AAT). As long as you follow the instructions and pay attention to what you're doing (e.g., remember to grab the other working yarn when you move from sock 1 to sock 2), it's definitely do-able even for a newer knitter.

The only other advice I might add is that you could start with worsted weight yarn (which will make a thicker sock) and use a solid-colored, smooth yarn, which will make it easier to see the stitches.
The Following User Says Thank You to dancejunky For This Useful Post:
crocee (12-26-2012)