Old 12-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,321 Posts
It sounds like MIL's idea of personal space is way different from yours. She sounds like what I think of as "gushy-grabby," someone who just goes on and on has to physically touch things. It's unfortunate. Family situations can be really tough. Odd, rude? Both.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Antares (12-29-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

I call mine my HIL (horror in law) ...
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidSydney63 For This Useful Post:
Antares (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

I am so lucky, my husband loved my mother as his mother-in-law. I on the other hand had not had a mother-in-law since we married. His mother passed away in a collision with a freight train that had stopped on the tracks. It was an unmarked crossing because it crossed a road in a trailer park on the other side of town from where I lived. So for my entire 38 years of marriage , I have never had a mother-in-law.
Antares (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Antares
Working the Gusset

Really, though, if that's the only thing I have to complain about with my MIL (and that's pretty much it), I'm pretty fortunate.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

Really great replies and they seem to cover just about all sides.

For myself. I only knit for me unless I am asked to knit something and then they must buy the yarn. It heads off most of the requests.

Maybe a sit down with MIL and explain how you feel when she does these actions??? Good luck~
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

Right now I am knitting furiously on a baby blanket for a cousin's daughter due in February. But I am seriously thinking of giving it to Project Linus ( I have made blankets for them in the past). Have already sent her four pairs of booties I made as well as a neckwarmer for the cousin in the same package. All I got was an email acknowledgement that it came and wasn't opened yet over a week ago and no other mention! Not that I did it just to be thanked BUT..... I also suggested checking thrift shops and consignment stores for baby clothes as they were so expensive. I have received in a mass email cousin sends to several people that they were going to Kohls to look for baby clothes. No mention to me of things I made. I am seriously thinking I will never make anything for anyone again.
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by borealowl View Post
Right now I am knitting furiously on a baby blanket for a cousin's daughter due in February. But I am seriously thinking of giving it to Project Linus ( I have made blankets for them in the past). Have already sent her four pairs of booties I made as well as a neckwarmer for the cousin in the same package. All I got was an email acknowledgement that it came and wasn't opened yet over a week ago and no other mention! Not that I did it just to be thanked BUT..... I also suggested checking thrift shops and consignment stores for baby clothes as they were so expensive. I have received in a mass email cousin sends to several people that they were going to Kohls to look for baby clothes. No mention to me of things I made. I am seriously thinking I will never make anything for anyone again.
Well one sock monkey don't stop no show. I might be tempted to never knit anything else for THAT person, but shutting down operations totally? Mmmmno. Most people appreciate hand crafted items, and I'm not gonna let one rude an unappreciative <expletive> mess things up for those people.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
Antares
Working the Gusset

Borealowl: So sorry to hear about your really bad experience. That's awful!

Do you think maybe they're sending a thank you note by snail mail? If not, I think I'd be tempted to e-mail them saying something to the effect of "If you don't plan to use the items I sent, please return them. I know of others who appreciate the hard work that goes into handmade items and will gladly use them."

Then I'd wait to see what they do. It might just jar them into a polite response--or they might send everything back in a hissy fit, but at least you'd get them back!

As for sending the blanket to them: No way! I'd donate it or give it to someone else!

As for making handmade items for other people, I wouldn't quit altogether (as mojo said), but I'd certainly be more selective about who got said item. In fact, I'd probably question the intended recipients closely and see if they appreciate handmade things.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,321 Posts
borealowl, I hate things like that happening. I agree with the others, that person doesn't need handmade items, but others will appreciate them.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
My two cents and alternate opinion-

Some people get busy and don't send out thank you notes quickly especially with a baby. I didn't get some out to my MIL once within a week when my kids were a baby and toddler and she sent me a scathing letter. I know I should have done it sooner, but it's not like I was sitting on the couch eating bonbons.

Kohls is not an expensive store and some people just like to have new stuff for their baby. Apparently the thank you is important so give her a call or email. I would donate the blanket, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-14-2013), suzeeq (01-14-2013)