Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
oliviap5
Ribbing the Cuff

What Yarn to Get? Beginner!
Hello! I posted a question a little while ago asking whether or not this would be a good sweat pattern for a beginner. http://www.berroco.com/patterns/peter-easy

I got the 'ok' and am excited to start it soon! The only problem is that I am really unsure as to what yarn to buy. The yarn they recommended for this pattern is apparently 'discontinued'. So I am looking for another type of merino yarn that isn't going to cost me a fortune.

Do any of you have good recommendations as to where to find good yarns?

And there also seem to be a lot of 'merino' yarns, and I am not sure which one to get for this pattern?

Thanks!
oliviap5 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Merino wool is a very soft yarn--lovely to work with and hand-washable, usually.

You don't need merino specifically for the sweater, any worsted-weight yarn will do. Then you work with your needle size to match your gauge to the pattern's gauge.

www.knitpicks.com and www.yarn.com both have some lovely yarns at reasonable prices.

You can also go with a soft acrylic or acrylic blend like Plymouth Encore for a machine-washable sweater. Stay away from the cheap buck-a-pound acrylics, though. They don't make a soft sweater; and for the time you're investing in a sweater, it's soooo worth it to get a decent yarn.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Where are you located? I'm not sure that it's discontinued, click on this map and see if there's a shop near you that carries it. You can find it online at Jimmy Bean's, Little Knits, and various other places.

It's a worsted or aran weight, doesn't have to be a merino. Knit Picks has a couple that could work (their Merino style is listed as dk, but it's as heavy as a worsted). There is only one merino, the wool that comes from merino sheep. There are superwash merinos, but that just means the item will be machine washable and possibly can be dried in a dryer.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
It is discontinued. Huh.
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library...co-pure-merino

Look for a gauge of about 18 st over 4 inches. Plymouth Encore would be perfect. I use it for hats all the time.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Whatever you get, I'd recommend a superwash yarn (one that's machine washable) -- especially if this is for a guy. I know if it has to be hand washed/dry cleaned it isn't going to get a lot of wear out of me unless it's a hat or a scarf or something that doesn't have to be washed every time it's worn.

Cascade 220 has a superwash variant that doesn't cost a fortune. It's not merino (at least I don't THINK they have that as an option). Plymouth Select Superwash Merino is one of my favorites to work with and works up beautifully. I've used both of these to good effect. Plymouth Encore is less expensive, machine washable, durable and makes a good choice as well. It's not one of my personal favorites, but it's a perfectly good yarn. Just looking at the photo of the Berroco, it LOOKS a lot like the Plymouth Select, but the Berroco might be a tiny bit thicker.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Cascade 220 superwash is Peruvian highland wool. I've only knit with the sport weight superwash and it was really nice.
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library...-220-superwash

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I found links to the ones I mentioned earlier if you want to peruse them. You can probably find them at other outlets online and in the 3-dimensional world, but this will give you an idea what's available.

Plymouth Select Superwash Merino
http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-cr...ino-superwash/

Plymouth Select Superwash Merino Kettle Dyed
http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-cr...h-kettle-dyed/

Cascade 220 Superwash
http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-cr...220-superwash/

Cascade 220 Superwash Paints*
http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-cr...erwash-paints/

*A note on this one, it's superwash, but I'd recommend washing it either by hand or at least by itself the first time around. I've only used it once, but it turned my fingers and (bamboo) needles green as I was knitting it and turned the water green when I washed it to block it. Could be that I just got some extra dye for free in the 2 skeins I got. I've only used it once, and I haven't noticed having the same kind of bleeding in any of the others I've listed. But it won't hurt to wash it solo the first time anyway.

The Cascade 220 Sport is a lighter (DK/Sport) weight (that technically should be called Cascade 292 if they followed their usual convention). You could still use it, but you'd have to adjust for the lighter weight somehow. By my calculations, it's about 25% thinner than Cascade 220.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Marina1109
1st Leg of the Journey

My nieces (10 & 12) want to learn to knit.
I want to get them "practice yarn" not very expensive, but fun for a first project, what do you folks recommend?
Marina1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Something from a craft store like Joann's or Michaels would be fine. Red Heart, Caron, or the store brand lines.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

For beginners a worsted weight, smooth, light colored solid is best. No novelty yarns.

Where? Craft stores like Sue suggested are good for beginners. Yarn stores also have yarn, but it's more expensive which you may not want for learning since there's no guarantee they'll stick with it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~