Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You should cruise through the Ravelry pattern database - you can filter on hats and top down. I think you'll be surprised at the results, including cabled hats.

Decreasing bottom up in cables wouldn't be more difficult than increasing top down. You can do the incs/decs in the purl columns between the cables where they show the least.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Quote:
And if it works for ya, there's no reason NOT to use it.

I only have dpn in smaller sizes, I've even done I cord on circs but wouldn't recommend it. I do socks toe up and can't figure why it's not the standard way to do socks, but as you say if it works for you that's all that matters. Top down sweaters worked in the round are so much easier than working pieces and then seaming, too. I think I've seen patterns for raglan sweaters worked bottom up and instead of inc for sleeves work dec when you get there. I'm a klutz and drop things easily so lots of dpns get to be a pain really fast for me. I have a set of dpns for socks on order and they could arrive any time now, I may venture into dpn in the round on my sock tops, I'm using sz 0 and have 00 dpn on their way which may just be the thing for ribbing the top. If I can manage them.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You should cruise through the Ravelry pattern database - you can filter on hats and top down. I think you'll be surprised at the results, including cabled hats.

Decreasing bottom up in cables wouldn't be more difficult than increasing top down. You can do the incs/decs in the purl columns between the cables where they show the least.
In the patterns I'm talking about the decreases are in the cables themselves. Like this one (which I like a lot, but probably won't attempt any time soon): http://www.strickmasche.de/caramel-cable-hat/.

Reversing the directions to go from the top instead of the bottom really isn't the issue here. no matter which way you go, this pattern is probably a little beyond my current skill level. That'll change, I'm sure (because until a few months ago making cloth from string with sticks was all some kind of strange alchemy to me) but for now I think I'll sit that one out. Besides, you gotta have a goal, right?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
...I'm using sz 0 and have 00 dpn on their way which may just be the thing for ribbing the top.
For me a size 00 would be just the thing for putting me in a sweater with extra-long sleeves that button in back.

I don't own anything smaller than a US4 except for the smaller tips in an antique set of interchangeables that got passed on from one person to another because nobody wanted 'em. (I mostly use 'em for stitch holders. )
Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Antares
Working the Gusset

That's a really neat looking hat. I particularly like the tiny cables between the big ones. I saw your other post about how to make these. It does seem confusing, but as you say, maybe it makes more sense when you're doing it.

Actually normal cables aren't difficult and changing the size of your cables isn't very complicated. Keeping track of where you are in the pattern might get a little tricky, but if you can knit, you can cable.

Besides, I saw your lovely chickens on the Whatcha' Knittin'? forum, and if you can do that, you can do just about anything with "string" and those two sticks.

I say give it a try!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
That's a really neat looking hat. I particularly like the tiny cables between the big ones. I saw your other post about how to make these. It does seem confusing, but as you say, maybe it makes more sense when you're doing it.

Actually normal cables aren't difficult and changing the size of your cables isn't very complicated. Keeping track of where you are in the pattern might get a little tricky, but if you can knit, you can cable.

Besides, I saw your lovely chickens on the Whatcha' Knittin'? forum, and if you can do that, you can do just about anything with "string" and those two sticks.

I say give it a try!
Oh I'll definitely try it at some point. I like the pattern far too well not to. And besides, I can't get myself in to more (knitting) trouble than my Yoda can get me out of. (She's so good to me!)

I understand the basic method for cables, and it (mostly) makes sense I just don't have any significant practice in it. That's about to change though. Wendy (Yoda) and I are heading to Nags Head (on NC's beautiful Outer Banks) for a long New Year's weekend, during which time I will get intensive cable training.

The chickens were fun and instructive but only a short jump from the Very Basic Skill Set. Definitely no complicated pattern stitches (actually no pattern stitches at all... just stockinette and garter and a little bit of I-cord).
Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
That's a beautiful hat with lovely careful decreases to narrow the crown. You'll laugh when you see how easy cables are to do and you'll be makng this hat sooner than you think.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

I just got through making a hat that was bottom up because of the design on it. It is called Woot! Woot Hat because the design is an owl pattern made from C2B and C2 F to make the body, head and head feathers. It is for my youngest grandson who is in Va. His Uncle Todd tried it on after it was finished and I knew then it would fit Tyler. I still have to sew the little buttons on it for the eyes and then it will be really finished.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Originally Posted by Daylilydayzed View Post
I just got through making a hat that was bottom up because of the design on it. It is called Woot! Woot Hat because the design is an owl pattern made from C2B and C2 F to make the body, head and head feathers. It is for my youngest grandson who is in Va. His Uncle Todd tried it on after it was finished and I knew then it would fit Tyler. I still have to sew the little buttons on it for the eyes and then it will be really finished.

I've seen that hat and have thought about making it. Will you post a photo?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Just a thought.....is there anything preventing us from knitting a 'bottom-up' hat pattern in reverse order, that is to say, top-down?

Cast on the final number of stitches you would have decreased down to....and start knitting down....substituting decreases with increases?

Easy to figure the math, the number of stitches you'd need as you increase your way to the bottom, I'd think.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote