Old 01-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's the difference between videos and live. I find plenty of english videos if I look for them and not all knitters make videos anyway. I've only seen knitters who drop the yarn between stitches on the videos and none in real life.

I've knit in yarn stores, and in knit in public day as well as seen a few in airports around the country and other places where people are waiting. Most of them knit english. Or maybe I just don't notice the difference - they're all just wrapping the yarn around needles...

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

Continental vs. English
I prefer English due to the tension of the stitch, I was taught crochet first, at three years old, but even though the yarn is held the same way, I end up with very loose stitches, even after years of practice, so I prefer the original (English) style of knitting, and I do not have to "throw" my whole arm to knit this way, I simply move my right index finger.
Paulaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I knit english style because I did crocheting first for years and as a lefty have always held my yarn in my right hand. I may not be a fast knitter, but my tension is right on. I guess I'm too lazy to go through the learning curve to learn continental
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree that the tension is great with english. For me it's so great that I think I knit too tightly. I avoid patterns that say things like k3tog or p3tog just because I can't imagine actually having to do that. I have enough trouble with 2 together. I also find purling way to tedious the way I do it. I actually have to let go of the right needle to wrap the yarn. That's why I want to learn continental. I need to find a smooth way to knit, and also avoid poking myself with the dpn's!
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
suzeeq
Knit On!

You can probably find a smoother way to knit english style that doesn't involve completely letting go of the needle. It sounds like your tension is too tight, if you wrap the yarn around your fingers you might drop ones of the wraps. Here's some other ways to hold and move the yarn english -

I'm a Thrower
Knitting english
I'm a "flicker"
That's How I Do It

Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Have mercy on the poor yarn and loosen up
Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post
I agree that the tension is great with english. For me it's so great that I think I knit too tightly. I avoid patterns that say things like k3tog or p3tog just because I can't imagine actually having to do that. I have enough trouble with 2 together. I also find purling way to tedious the way I do it. I actually have to let go of the right needle to wrap the yarn. That's why I want to learn continental. I need to find a smooth way to knit, and also avoid poking myself with the dpn's!

Knitting Too Tight

Knitting Help - Help for Tight Knitters

Be kind to yourself and work on knitting more loosely. It is easier on your hands, wrists, arms, your whole body. Since I've started knitting more loosely, my neck and shoulders aren't tensing up so much. I get the idea that your problem may be more technique than the style of knitting you use, I know that's true for me.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Lizars1735 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

There's the old expression: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you're used to the English method, there's no reason you can't continue using it. Stephanie (can't think of her last name) the Yarn Harlot does English and she's quite fast. I saw videos of her doing something called Irish cottage knitting. As to the k3tog and p3 tog, everyone has problems with this. That's why you need this forum to learn knitter's tricks and shortcuts. You slip those stitches onto a smaller size double point needle and then knit them together. You never insert the entire needle through those stitches, just use the tip.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
suzeeq
Knit On!

I don't use a hook or smaller needle for k/p3tog, but I don't have a tight tension or gauge. However, there's a lot of ways to hold the yarn and needles without making the sts so tight it's hard to knit into them. And if you wrap the yarn backwards for a purl stitch, that can make them too tight to knit tog through the front legs. Are your stitches twisted, Lizars?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #29
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't think they are twisted. I know the knit stitches are fine. When I purl I wrap counter clockwise (is that the right way?), and I know that I purl tight because I let go of the right needle and wrap it.

As far as not being broke, I think it is. I've been knitting a lot this past week to finish a birthday gift, and I'm in pain all the way from my right wrist to the elbow. I think it's from the way I move my wrist and index finger. There is no guarantee that continental style will ease this, but it is a different motion from the right. Also, if I try to adjust my English style to knit fasterand not let go of the right needle to purl it will be just like learning a new way to knit anyway.
It is frustrating. I love knitting, but I don't like how slow I go, that I knit too tight, and of course, the recent pain. When I started knitting, I wanted to knit tight, but now that I have been doing it for a few years, I'm seeing the problems it's causing and now I feel like I need to learn all over again. But I'm so glad I found this forum. People are so helpful and full of great ideas.
Thank you all so much!
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #30
suzeeq
Knit On!

You may be holding the needles too tight, and if you have tight purl stitches that's going to make it harder on your hands to knit into them. Don't wrap the yarn so tight, or if you pull on the yarn after you make a stitch, stop that. Doing the next stitch tightens up the previous one so you don't have to pull the yarn; nice even stitches happen when you wash or block the item, less in how tight you make the stitches.