Old 07-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

Knook
I got an email this morning from Leisure Arts about the Knook. What is the Knook, well it is a way to knit with a tool they call the knook which is a special crochet hook and a piece of leather which goes through a hole . It looks like Tunsian crochet but my point is why go through all this trouble with a hook. Why not just learn how to knit!!!!! I will never understand why people go through all this trouble just to have a knitted piece with a hook when they could just learn to knit.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America

Last edited by mathwizard : 07-23-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I know, from reading on Crochet lists and from my own experience, that knitting doesn't work for everyone. Some people who crochet want very much to learn to knit, but have neurological or physical problems which make the "yarn slipping off the needles" and other knitting-coordination challenges too difficult or even impossible to overcome.

For them, knooking makes a few knitted items possible (ribbing on a sweater, for example).

In my own case, I was never able to remember the one and only cast-on I had been shown years ago, *and* didn't know about Continental-style knitting. The combination of the two brought me to a stand. Without casting on, of course, no knitting can take place, and years of maneuvering yarn with my left hand for crochet made that hand very "smart" w/regard to yarn-tensioning and my right hand clueless.

Earlier this very year, I joined a community-service group of women who (listen up, any knitters who are prejudiced against crochet...) were open-minded about crochet. They were more interested in the actual number of hats, neck scarves, and baby blankets the group could produce rather than *how* said items were produced. I can generate hats like nobody's business, and neck scarves as well, and that's what they wanted to see.

At the monthly meetings, held at a member's house, there are only five to seven women. A nice, small group. As I was walking by one of them after having put a hat on the stack in April, she was "magically" making loops on her needle with (wow!) ONE HAND. I stopped dead.

"Are you...casting on?! with one hand?!" [excitedly]

"Sure. Anything to get loops on the needle fast is fine."

"But...I had no idea there was another cast-on than the one I was showed that I've never been able to remember. This is great!"

"Oh; there are so many cast-ons that I don't think I even know them all."

"!" [staggered]

So that logjam was broken. Yes: Backwards Loop Cast-On.

Then I looked in books, etc. (Internet, too, but didn't have the vocabulary yet) for alternate methods of knitting. It was that right-hand thing...and I also saw some of the many cast-ons.

Now I'm a beginning knitter, working in Continental style, and have taken a couple of hat- and scarf-making classes at an LYS.

But not everyone has the benefit of two fully functioning hands. I didn't even always have that: for 15 years I had to choose between crochet and my job due to carpal tunnel syndrome. This is how I *know* from the inside out about hand trouble.

So...knooking may be the *only* knitting-like craft available to some people. Don't just jump in and tear it down before realizing that, for them, it may be their only possibility. For others, it may become a bridge to knitting.

DCM
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-16-2012)
Old 07-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Some people feel more comfortable with just one tool in one hand than using 2 with both hands. It makes nice looking items too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

Knook
I am sorry as I didn't intend to upset people but I think we should try to share our knowledge and not make a profit to extremes. I have said for years that knitting and crochet had lots in common.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Knooking isn't just a gimmick to make money. It's similar to Tunisian crochet and it or a variation, has been used for decades in the Netherlands and scandinavian countries. See this blog also

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
DogCatMom (07-23-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

suzeeq, that is truly amazing. The "Dutch knitting," as the blogger says it's called in her family, is also called "Bosnian slip-stitch/crochet," and the crochet hook she's using is sold by Lacis as a "Pjoning crochet hook."

I purchased one a couple of months ago to work with slip-stitch crochet. My jaw completely dropped when I clicked on the Netherlands blog and saw a Pjoning-hook twin being used in a completely different way!

There seems to be a continuum--or, perhaps, constellation--of techniques that includes tambour work, igolochkoy, locker hooking, crochet (English/American type), Tunisian crochet, knitting, knooking, "Dutch knitting" (per the blog), Bosnian/slip-stitch crochet, Korsnas "crochet," nalbinding, tvaandstickning, and (probably the Ur-Teknik of them all) sprang, which some textile-history researchers now believe gave birth to both weaving and the "tool + fiber" arts.

The "let them eat cake" ("Learn to knit") statements always sadden/infuriate me based on my own many years of difficulty and the knowledge that there *are* people who would like to learn to knit but cannot.

The other statements (which I've read on this very board, one from a highly regarded moderator) along the lines of "well, crochet is [insert your favorite derogatory phrase]" also are depressing/baffling. If both crochet and knitting are related arts, why must one be "superior" and the other "inferior"?

With so many fields of endeavor, I very much regret the 15 years I had to lose to the needle arts of all kinds. I don't have time to put down the arts I can't do; I want to learn as many as possible.

Swimming against the tide uses more energy than simply coming to this knitting board and reading about knitting should, even though I restrict myself to the How To, Patterns, and other brass-tacks areas. Then, to find in the "Crochet" area, someone saying the same "Let them eat cake" phrase about knooking is pretty...well..."amazing" is probably the most polite word I can use to describe my feelings when I read the OP's post earlier today.

Clearly, based on the Dutch blog, the research by Dora Ohrenstein on Bosnian/slip-stitch crochet, and other "discoveries" by English-language researchers, academicians, and yarn-workers of folk and ethnic fiber techniques around the world, what we know as "crochet" and "knit" are only two of many styles of working the yarn.

A little more flexibility of attitude would be very welcome.

DCM
The Following User Says Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
irishsmitty (02-10-2013)
Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
The other statements (which I've read on this very board, one from a highly regarded moderator) along the lines of "well, crochet is [insert your favorite derogatory phrase]"...
I don't believe I've read this from anyone on this board, let alone a moderator.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Debbie (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Danisty
Ribbing the Cuff

I haven't been around here enough to notice any hostility against crochet, but I just want to say I like them both, but for different projects. I generally don't care for crocheted clothes, but I like it for household items like blankets and stuff. That's just a personal preference. I think if someone says knitting is better, you have to be careful not to interpret that as "knitting makes you superior." If that is what they're saying though, I do agree that isn't right.

Last edited by Danisty : 07-25-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Danisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

more
I don't place knitting or crochet as one better than the other. I do both and enjoy both! I prefer knitting most clothing and crochet is house items and whatever catches my interest. I have been doing both for over 48 years. I do many other needle crafts as well as sewing, quilting. I will say after watching some videos on it I think if you want a knitted looking item without knitting it then this would be your method. I did learn Tunisian and found it took too long for me and went back to my knitting. I am always on in the learning mode but this is one technique I will leave alone as I like my current knitting method.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

@suzeeq: please see my PM.

And thank you again for the mind-stunning blog from the Netherlands. Wow.

DCM