When I'm teaching a new knitter to knit their first sweater, here is the criteria I look for with regards to the pattern itself:
1) dropped shoulder... sometimes called 'dropped sleeve' (eliminates armhole shaping)
2) worked flat (as opposed to 'in-the-round')
3) bottom-up construction, 4 separate pieces for pullover
4) simple pattern stitch (no cables, no lace)
5) pullover (no futzy button bands and buttonholes)
Succeed with this criteria, you'll feel confident to branch out, spread your wings.
Take on a pattern beyond your skills, you may fail miserably, and tank knitting altogether.
It is a free pattern! Click link below:
I personally love this 'style' of pullover. It's also okay for women, too.