Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yeah, I've had to hide FB posts from an internet friend who posts every single thing she's doing (she's in her 40s, not a teenager), and my new sweeting who posts lots of other stuff he finds online or at FB. When I want to see what he's looking at, I go to his page. I only joined because my DIL's mother is on it; she takes care of our mutual GD and posts what she's up to or pictures of her.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
ArtLady1981
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
ArtLady1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kent, Washington
Posts: 10,467
Thanks: 5,264
Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I had FB. I dumped FB.

Reason? Toooo much information! My people have no discretion. This momma was reading (and seeing) stuff that curled her hair. I don't need to hear about all my kids personal stuff, if you (ahem) follow me....or their fights.

My people used FB for good, and bad. Besides TMI, the bad included using FB as a boxing ring. A place to take a stab at a relative, then the dog fight. The ultimate punishment? Un-Friending.

Oh yes, I've been UN-friended by one of my own sons (very hurtful), and I have a cousin who is hot and cold with me on FB, but she won't call me to talk! I wish she'd never 'found' me on FB.

After several years, I quietly tiptoed back to FB, created another account. I use it mainly to follow businesses, and a few TV favorites, and Chris Rene's career. I check into my FB about twice a month. Period.

I have very few FB "friends" and like it that way.

I don't fault anyone for participating in FB, whether low-key or full-throttle. But for me, I think it's a huge time suck. And not good for much of anything.

I'd rather invest my online energy into KH and Ravelry. Both of these sites are actually good for something constructive, and for learning, and resources. Yes, there are social aspects, too!

And lest we forget....you can't knit when you're online cuz you can't knit one-handed even if you can SWYPE on your smartphone one-handed!
__________________
Knitting Help Video Index

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #23
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,134
Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I've got my girls as friends, but they don't post often. Of the three one works for the federal government (NSF) and another will soon have her teaching credentials. They are very aware of the dangers of social sites. I just checked what's on my newsfeed today...NatGeo, Time Magazine, National Zoo, a couple book authors, free kindle book site, a funny actor, a cat site, my vet, a couple knitting sites... I have several friends that will show up if they post, but the breakfast posters have been hidden. Sooooo... I completely agree it can be a time suck and that FB oversteps their boundaries, but there's a lot of us who use it for other stuff and don't live there. Those people need to wake up!
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
ArtLady1981
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
ArtLady1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kent, Washington
Posts: 10,467
Thanks: 5,264
Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I've got my girls as friends, but they don't post often. Of the three one works for the federal government (NSF) and another will soon have her teaching credentials. They are very aware of the dangers of social sites. I just checked what's on my newsfeed today...NatGeo, Time Magazine, National Zoo, a couple book authors, free kindle book site, a funny actor, a cat site, my vet, a couple knitting sites... I have several friends that will show up if they post, but the breakfast posters have been hidden. Sooooo... I completely agree it can be a time suck and that FB oversteps their boundaries, but there's a lot of us who use it for other stuff and don't live there. Those people need to wake up!
Yeah, I use it for news, too. Also, Twitter and Flipboard.
__________________
Knitting Help Video Index

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #25
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,134
Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Yeah, I use it for news, too. Also, Twitter and Flipboard.
I have a few news apps, but only the ones I mentioned are on FB. The stuff they put on there is just special stuff. Saw a newly discovered lizard on NatGeo today.

I only use one other sorta social site...Pinterest, but it's a stand alone app. It's not really social though in the same way FB and twitter are. I "pin" recipes and look at the San Diego Zoo baby panda pics, or knit or craft stuff I like. Some people go nuts on there as well and I only follow select boards.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #26
ArtLady1981
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
ArtLady1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kent, Washington
Posts: 10,467
Thanks: 5,264
Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I have a few news apps, but only the ones I mentioned are on FB. The stuff they put on there is just special stuff. Saw a newly discovered lizard on NatGeo today.

I only use one other sorta social site...Pinterest, but it's a stand alone app. It's not really social though in the same way FB and twitter are. I "pin" recipes and look at the San Diego Zoo baby panda pics, or knit or craft stuff I like. Some people go nuts on there as well and I only follow select boards.
Oh yeah, my daughter twisted my arm to install Pinterest on my Smartphone. Not sure if it's going to be worth my time. She spends hours on it.
__________________
Knitting Help Video Index

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #27
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,134
Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I check these sites once or twice a day, but I don't live on them. I knit, read a lot, email my daughters, house stuff....

First thing I suggest with Pinterest... Unfollow everyone!! Then be selective. If you like cooking, search for specific topics or people. (Like Martha Stewart, dairy free, knitting, etc.) the select only the boards you are interested in. For instance you might be interested in Martha Stewart desserts, but not crafts. I have a board for holiday decorating, things I love, great ideas I've seen, healthy food.... If you personalize it it makes it useful. I've looked up recipes I've saved for and printed them to use. I usually pin stuff I've seen on there only. Only a few were things I found on the Internet.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #28
ArtLady1981
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
ArtLady1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kent, Washington
Posts: 10,467
Thanks: 5,264
Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I check these sites once or twice a day, but I don't live on them. I knit, read a lot, email my daughters, house stuff....

First thing I suggest with Pinterest... Unfollow everyone!! Then be selective. If you like cooking, search for specific topics or people. (Like Martha Stewart, dairy free, knitting, etc.) the select only the boards you are interested in. For instance you might be interested in Martha Stewart desserts, but not crafts. I have a board for holiday decorating, things I love, great ideas I've seen, healthy food.... If you personalize it it makes it useful. I've looked up recipes I've saved for and printed them to use. I usually pin stuff I've seen on there only. Only a few were things I found on the Internet.
Thanks Jan!!!
__________________
Knitting Help Video Index

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Lion puts out a lot of patterns, there's a lot that were knitty patterns and other sites. Depends what category you're looking in.
Very true. And KPC was always a collection of links to patterns -- and tutorials and so forth. But the big difference is that -- at least for the free patterns -- you don't have to set up an identity on Knitty or Red Heart or Plymouth Yarn or most of the others to see what the thing looks like. But before LB will even let you see a photo -- never mind a pattern -- you have to give them information. And I'm disinclined to give that information out without a good reason. Especially in these times.

My girlfriend has an account on LB -- specifically for their pattern collection -- but yesterday I was looking for a pattern for something I wanted to make for her... and that would kinda spoil the surprise, wouldn't it? (BTW, when/if I get around to actually making the thing, be prepared for a bazillion questions... because I won't have my Yoda available to ask...)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't mind using my real email address to sign up for sites; I also signed up for Lion's weekly newsletters that have patterns in them. Often they're some I'm interested in.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
knittingpatterncentral.com amishgirl281 General Knitting 6 12-02-2007 11:00 PM
what happened!?! kashadilla Creating Yarn: Spinning, Dyeing, etc. 2 04-04-2007 07:23 PM
knittingpatterncentral.com kamakani11 Pattern Central 2 03-23-2007 04:54 PM
Has this happened to anyone else? zkimom General Knitting 6 03-18-2007 04:04 AM
Has this ever happened to you??? Lindsey H General Knitting 10 07-20-2006 05:50 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.