Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Unless you're having issues with the stitches slipping you may not need to try bamboo, but do get bigger needles either way.
I recommended bamboo needles not because they keep my stitches from slipping (although they can do that, too) but because they have helped me create uniform stitches.

And here's additional proof from ArtLady on another thread:

"My students (Friday night Knitting 101 class) all did better with Clover Takumi bamboo needles. One of the students had learned to knit a hundred years ago, but her tension and control of her stitches was always her bane, downfall...and led her to give up. (she had learned to knit way back then with 14" metal straight needles, btw)

This time 'round, she was using Clover bamboo needles because that was on my Class Materials list. I specifically recommended wood or bamboo.

Her tension and stitch control was PERFECTION, and I can't tell you how happy she was!"

So it's worth a try. Save your receipt, and if you don't like them or they don't help, simply return them!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
@suzeeq, I am a male LMAO.

It's the 21st century men knit and sew now as well.
Sorry about that, wasn't paying attention to your username! lol

Really, if you go up in needle size to at least a 9, a 10 would be better, you'll still get nice even stitches, especially with a little practice. Smaller needles make tight stitches, not necessarily even ones, and it's hard on your hands to knit at that gauge. Besides the neat even stitches you see in pictures are after the item has been washed and dried, often several times. While most of us develop a consistent tension after a while, we still get wonky sts as we knit - the secret to the items looking good comes with washing or blocking it when you're done.

I agree that bamboo needles work pretty well, I like all my Clovers, and I would suggest you get circulars, even though with clovers you need to dip the cord only in hot water to uncurl them. But you can knit flat things on circs and after you get more experience will come in handy for knitting in the round.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,189 Times in 2,693 Posts
Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
Firstly thank you all for your input it is very welcome. I do believe the needles are 4 US, will have to make sure when I get home. The yarn is acrylic, and yes they are metal (aluminum I think) needles.

This is the stitch size I'd like to have. http://www.flickr.com/photos/21163798@N07/2417577906/

Not sure if that is doable with my current skill level or not, either way I've nothing but time so I don't mind keeping at it.

It's the 21st century men knit and sew now as well.

I think your username gives a hint that you're male. That's OK, we don't hold it against you. Seriously, it's so cool to see guys knitting, I think it's good for the soul and spirit of anyone. There are a number of knitters of the masculine persuasion here and they're just more knitters to me.

The picture you linked to doesn't indicate a gauge but as you're wanting to make a scarf, gauge (sts/inch) isn't crucial as long as you are happy with the width you achieve. The picture is garter stitch, every row is a knit row. If you're using a larger needle with worsted weight yarn then you should get a comparable look and a softer fabric which I think you would want for a scarf. Don't be too hard on yourself if you have some inconsistencies, practicing knitting and knitting and knitting some more will help with that.

Dr. Who scarves are popular, as you can see here. Take a few minutes and join ravelry to get access to all the features there including lots and lots of patterns, many of them free. Ravelry is free to join too. When you look at the patterns you'll see yarn and needle size suggestions, don't expect your sts/inch to exactly match that given in a pattern. Some people knit more loosely and some knit more tightly. New knitters usually knit tight.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

suzeeq, no worries. I will have to try larger needles as I'm sure 1 scarf won't be the full extent of my foray into knitting.

@GrumpyGramma funny you should post that link that's exactly what I want to do. I'm a very big Dr Who nut and have recently been watching the Tom Baker episodes (made the overly long scarf famous) and have fallen in love with the scarf. It's so whimsical that it screams me. I did take time to join and will use whatever information I can glean from the site.

When I get home I'll try to remember to post details of the yarns I've picked with their weights and compositions. It's tough for me to be on a computer when I get home though, I work in IT and am on one 10 hours a day at work.
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,189 Times in 2,693 Posts
I've wondered if people who work with computers have one up on the rest of us when it comes to reading and following knitting patterns, after all you're used to things that must be specific down to minute details. But maybe you don't work with code. I've thought my SIL would be really good at knitting if he wanted to but then....now that I think of it....some patterns are written so they'd make his blood boil. Maybe he shouldn't be knitting. LOL However, I should probably say that he is almost certainly undiagnosed Asperger's. I can picture him now rewriting all the patterns...nope he better stick with his 'puters.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,461 Times in 3,138 Posts
Looks do-able but you may have to put up with uneven tension for awhile. As others have said, with practice, it just goes away. If you want a perfect scarf, it might be best to use a ball of practice yarn until the stitches even out. it's also a good way to test out needle size in order to see which size gives you the knit fabric you like.
And oh yes, he or she. We use the general "she" or "he" refering to knitters more as a convenience. Lots of both here so you've plenty of company. Welcome! We're glad you're here.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
@Antares- oh I see what you mean now. I have even tension on either needle type now and just know it was hard for me at first even with bamboo. It's worth it to try both for sure because like continental vs English they both come in handy later.

We do have quite a few male knitters here. The Usernames don't always give it away though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

I picked up on the male-ness in your first post - my son's wife is a knitter, so he decided he could do this but naturally (being male<g>) had to start off with a "challenge" - so did a neckwarmer using 4 double-pointed needles (dpn's). Aside from the predictable problems with that for a brand-new knitter - HIS hobby is fishing and he's been fly-tying for years - you can imagine the grip he put on the yarn, lol, his neckwarmer is more like chain armour from the Middle Ages. Get some bigger needles, and have fun - I see people flying those planes down near the beach, it looks like a wonderful hobby!

It's the 21st century men knit and sew now as well.[/quote]
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I do work quite a bit with code, started back in the 80's with a Commodore 64 and writing basic code in that to make the little balloon fly across the screen. Then in the 90's I started recoding games, it snowballed from there, and I discovered I had an aptitude for it, at the time I was working as a mechanic. FF and for the last 12 years I've been working at a finance company on computers. Never been to school for computers, I've just read tons of documents on computers. As for Aspergers I know several people with it to varying degrees and all are pretty much brilliant. In fact the bittorrent protocol responsible for most of the piracy uproar of the last 10 years was thought up and written by someone with Aspergers. To date it's the definitive way to transfer large files over the internet. It was brilliant and elegant in it's simplicity.

I do find that I like to tinker, I don't spend much time watching tv, I'd rather be learning a language or building something or learning something new, hence the wanting to learn knitting.

I am using metal needles, number 4's 3.5mm, the yarn I'm using is Red Heart it's a medium number 4 yarn, suggested needle is number 5, stitch count per inch is just over 4 stitches and it is 100% acrylic.

IslandTime, I've spent a fair amount of time fishing, even done some fly fishing but never tied my own flys. Fly fishing is very fun. My father used to say "God never takes the time a man spends fishing away from him".

The knitting is my latest foray, into various hobbies and activities to keep me busy and out of trouble. I also do it because my daughter does and the two of us are fairly competitive with each other.
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The needle size on that yarn is 5mm, or a US 8. Knitting gets you acquainted with the metric system pretty quick! And it's easy to misread one for another....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
DavidSydney63 (01-10-2013)