Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #81
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
You wouldn't be surprised how many times I started, restarted it until it looked right. It's really nice when you get the hang of it and it starts to look like something. I almost feel like I know what I'm doing. I was impressed how well my color transition went.
You're right... I wouldn't be surprised. Been there, done that . But you're further along than I was at this stage -- even with a personal trainer!

Just wait, once you've got the knit and the purl stitches mastered, there's literally no limit to the variations of how you put them together. They are the basis of everything else, and once you have a firm command of them you can literally do anything. In programmer speak, they're the primitives. If they're sound, the objects you derive from them will be sound. And the objects can be as complex as your imagination will let them be.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #82
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I suppose it is alot like that. In the beginning it looked more like spaghetti code than a well structured program, don't bother looking for comments though.
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #83
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I suppose it is alot like that. In the beginning it looked more like spaghetti code than a well structured program, don't bother looking for comments though.
I make plenty of comments while I'm knitting. Many (most?) of them completely inappropriate for this forum.

I tend to see most things through the programing prism. I can make them make sense if I can model them on something I know.

Wait until you recycle a thrift shop sweater... you'll hitnk it looks more like Ramen noodle code than spaghetti!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #84
Antares
Working the Gusset

Well, you're certainly making remarkable progress--even stitches, successful frogging and reknitting, color changes, etc. And the great thing about knitting is that it's a lot like life: It may not turn out perfectly, but you learn a lot in the process!

And by the way, not to discourage you (quite the opposite): I tend to frog every project at least 3 or 4 times before I get going good on it. For some reason, it just takes me a while to get the knitting train headed in the right direction. So although 10 times is a lot of restarting, I believe that was normal for me, too, when I first started. Perhaps we just learn best by doing . . . . and redoing!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #85
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
So although 10 times is a lot of restarting, I believe that was normal for me, too, when I first started. Perhaps we just learn best by doing . . . . and redoing!
An old boss of mine once old me "You'll learn something better and faster by doing it wrong once than you will by doing it right 10 times."

I believe him!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #86
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Nice knitting, dude! Your stitches look great. I think your hole might be an accidental knit 2 together decrease. If you've not already frogged, see if you can tell if you knitted 2 together when you pull that one out. I thoroughly dislike counting stitches but learned that it can be a lot faster and easier in the long run. In my earliest knitting I placed markers, you could use anything that will go on the needle between stitches and not snag your yarn--a small loop of contrasting yarn works well--and know you should have a certain number of stitches (pick a number, 1/2 or 1/4 your total stitch count) between markers and it helps figure out where your count is off.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #87
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

What is frogging?

The stitches started looking like that when I got a good set of needles, why does a good set cost as much as a cheap set? Got some stainless Chaiogoo and I absolutely love them.

I did use red color markers just made some rounds from red yarn and would loop them over every 10 stitches, they lasted about 2 rows, but that was with the old smaller needles. I'm sure the stitching size has more to do with the larger needles vs me trying to go with the smaller needles. I am enjoying it though. It's nice to work on it, then put it down for a half hour and go back to it, but I find I tend to stare at it while I'm not working on it.

It also beats wasting my life sitting in front of the tv or my computer while home. I much prefer doing something.

mojo11, I just noticed what your avatar says, how many people have caught the reference?
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #88
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

What is frogging?
You've done lots of it, by your reports. :"frogging" is just pulling out row(s) of knitting. I believe the term came to the knitting lexicon because it's the :ahem: publicly acceptable version of what you really WANT to say as you're doing this.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #89
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Frogging... Frogs say "rip-it, rip-it"...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #90
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Frogging... Frogs say "rip-it, rip-it"...
Yup, the frog said, "rip-it, rip-it!" and I did. Never mind the devil on my shoulder, it's the frog I hear.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote