Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Moving Furniture On Carpet
Does anyone have those furniture sliders that move your heavy furniture "with ease". As they advertise. :rollseyes: We just bought a new entertainment center last night and have decided to move the living room around, of course, this is after we put the TV in the unit.

We're not all that bright sometimes.

Anyway, I'm looking on QVC's site and the testimonials say they work great, BUT I need to know if they work on carpet. Not hardwood floors. Plus, I'd rather get them today and not have to wait 2 weeks to have them shipped.

Thanks for any help!
zhangkaiieo (11-12-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Lucy Fan
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't know about those, but we bought these wheely things at Lowes (or was it Home Depot?) that are designed for moving furniture that work fantastic. It's just basically wood nailed together in a square with carpet stapled around so that it doesn't scratch and it has wheels and it low to the ground. You just pick up one half of the item and slide it under and then pick up the other half and slide another one under and whatever you want to move (couch, dresser, tv unit) moves easily. We use them all the time when I want things moved around and our friends are always asking to borrow them. They work great on carpet.
Lucy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Lucy Fan View Post
I don't know about those, but we bought these wheely things at Lowes (or was it Home Depot?) that are designed for moving furniture that work fantastic. It's just basically wood nailed together in a square with carpet stapled around so that it doesn't scratch and it has wheels and it low to the ground. You just pick up one half of the item and slide it under and then pick up the other half and slide another one under and whatever you want to move (couch, dresser, tv unit) moves easily. We use them all the time when I want things moved around and our friends are always asking to borrow them. They work great on carpet.

Thanks for replying, but do you know what they are actually called?? I don't know if Home Depot will know what I'm talking about if I call and ask for Wheely things. And they really work on carpet??
Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
letah75
Working the Gusset

My mom says they work well.

I know she got them at some store...perhaps walmart? Some malls have an "As seen on t.v." store.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Indygirl

Sliders
Originally Posted by bailsmom View Post
Does anyone have those furniture sliders that move your heavy furniture "with ease". As they advertise. :rollseyes: We just bought a new entertainment center last night and have decided to move the living room around, of course, this is after we put the TV in the unit.

We're not all that bright sometimes.

Anyway, I'm looking on QVC's site and the testimonials say they work great, BUT I need to know if they work on carpet. Not hardwood floors. Plus, I'd rather get them today and not have to wait 2 weeks to have them shipped.

Thanks for any help!
I have the Sliders and they work great. They have one side for hard floors and the other sides works wonderful for carpet. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Last edited by Indygirl : 07-02-2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: more imformation
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
marykz
Working the Gusset

we have some, also from Bed Bath and Beyond (or, as we call it, Big Bad Behind). They work very well on carpet, once you get the darned furniture ON them. We had to move a LARGE armoire and most of the battle was lifting it up enough to get the sliders in the right places without getting a hernia.

Good luck!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I usually just duct tape a cat under each leg of the piece of furniture. Works great on carpet or bare floors.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
zip

You can get those same sliders at Lowe's, as well as probably any home improvement store. I think they work on carpet, but I'm not certain. Any of those cuties who work there could tell you whether they do, then you could return them if they don't.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

We've used them on carpet, and they work really well. I'm not sure what brand or where my dad bought them, but they also came with a little lever thing that you put under a corner, and then stand on in order to lift the piece of furniture high enough.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Thanks everyone! I called home depot and he suggested Magic Sliders. I then went to Target, as it's closer than home depot, and they had some, but I bought the smaller ones. They were $6.50!! But well worth not having to lug the tv out again.

I should have bought the biggest ones, (but they were $20 ) but the small ones worked fine.

Thank you so much for your help!!