Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
With Denise needles you could use 2 sets. Put a smaller needle on the end that is just holding the stitches, use the right size for the right, working needle, and knit in the round with two needles. That way you don't have to worry about the cord length, just use your 2 longest ones. I think with a Denise set you should have 2 long enough to use this way but no promises. I don't use my set these days so I don't remember for sure how long they are. I think a cord the right length to knit round and round isn't going to be feasible with the thick cords from Denise. HTH

Knit on 2 Circular Denise Needles

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I want to try it on the circular needles but didn't know how long a cord to attach to the tips . I have a set of the Denise interchangeable needles . I don't knit much so I knew someone here would know how long a cord for the 48 stitches
Even the shortest cord may be too long for this many stitches, especially if it's a thin or medium weight yarn. You'll probably have to use a longer cord and the Magic Loop or single loop technique. With a 5mm and worsted weight, that would only be 12" around and I'm not sure Denise's cords even make a 16" needle.

Or like the post above says - use 2 cords, with the right size needle on one end and a smaller on the other. Then always make sure the correct size is in the right hand.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #23
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Even the shortest cord may be too long for this many stitches, especially if it's a thin or medium weight yarn. You'll probably have to use a longer cord and the Magic Loop or single loop technique. With a 5mm and worsted weight, that would only be 12" around and I'm not sure Denise's cords even make a 16" needle.

Or like the post above says - use 2 cords, with the right size needle on one end and a smaller on the other. Then always make sure the correct size is in the right hand.
One reason I quit using my Denise needles is because ML doesn't work well with them. I think ML would require their longest cord which doesn't come with the set (they sent me two because they got tired of hearing from me about them breaking) and connecting shorter ones together didn't work well for me either.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Have you tried single loop? You can use a shorter cord and it doesn't need to be as flexible as with ML. There's less strain on the joins.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Have you tried single loop? You can use a shorter cord and it doesn't need to be as flexible as with ML. There's less strain on the joins.

IME...I want to stress that it is my experience...DNs don't loop well at all. YMMV I know lots of people love their DNs and I'm happy for them, I guess I just expect too much from them. I wanted them to behave like my KP Options do and they just can't do it.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

GG, What does YMMV mean? I looked all over the abbreviations thread and couldn't find it.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post
GG, What does YMMV mean? I looked all over the abbreviations thread and couldn't find it.
Your Mileage May Vary. That's not unique to KH, it's used all over the interwebz, which is why they wouldn't have listed it in the common abbreviations here.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
Your Mileage May Vary. That's not unique to KH, it's used all over the interwebz, which is why they wouldn't have listed it in the common abbreviations here.
Ah, thank you. Now that you mention it, I think I have heard that before.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Hiya Hiya makes them in 12" and even 9" lengths in both individual and interchangeables. But I shudder to think how short the tips would be on the individual needles, or how awkward the interchangeables would be -- even with the 4" tips. For me, even the tips on most 16" circs are so short they're awkward to use. (YMMV) If I were doing it (which I promised Tonka I never, ever would) I'd just do it in ML and call it a day. But that's my go-to method for anything small and round anyway.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #30
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I haz found da ultimate dog snood on Cheezburger