Old 01-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
teifert1
Casting On

sleeves too big for arm holes
Ok so I used a ultimate sweater machine to knit a sweater. I followed the instructions to a tee even making a test swatch. Well when I was finished I ended up with sleeves that are too tall for the arm holes. I have been hand knitting a while and I remeber overhearing a conversation at my local yarn shop about fixing some problems by first using a sewing machine and the cutting the excess knitting away. I have loooked at my project several time and I think this could be done.....if indeed sewing with a sewing machine is enough to keep the stitches from unraveling. Does anyone have any input on this method? Just curious before I go sewing and then hacking away at my sweater. Lol
teifert1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Sounds like that scary "steeking" thing I've heard about but never had the nerve (or need) to try. I don't know how it's done, but that should give you somewhere to start.

Good luck!
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Yes, that is called steeking. Its best done with 100% feltable wool, but can be done with other yarns if they are well secured.

I'm not sure how you'd use it for this problem though.. Can you just ease the top of the sleeve into the sweater instead?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Yes, that is called steeking. Its best done with 100% feltable wool, but can be done with other yarns if they are well secured.

I'm not sure how you'd use it for this problem though.. Can you just ease the top of the sleeve into the sweater instead?
I don't know enough about steeking to say one way or the other what it can be used for, I just remember my girlfriend getting a "repair job" from the yarn store that involved a customer who ignored the warning about taking time to save time and checking gauge. As a result, the lovely cabled sweater she'd made for her husband came out large enough to house a tribe of pygmies from some obscure island nation in the Pacific rim. Seriously. I'm an even six feet and about [ahem] 185 lbs and this thing swallowed me whole. So unless this woman was actually married to the entire offensive line of the New England Patriots, she overshot it a bit.

I digress.

Anyway, Wendy was understandably reluctant to start cutting on this sweater, but she'd already gotten enough yarn out of the sleeves to make a Lhasa Apso and there was STILL a wad in the armpits the size of a baseball. The length was easy enough to fix (which is where the Lhasa came from), but the circumference... not so much.

So she read, and consulted and studied and plotted and measured and finally steeked. And in the end, the customer went home with a sweater sized for a mere mortal and a life lesson to TAKE TIME TO SAVE TIME. ALWAYS CHECK GAUGE!

So I know it's been done (at least once), but don't ask me how she did it. Actually, I couldn't explain how she does most of the repairs she does.

In fact, this might be the route the OP wants to take. Go to the LYS and see if they have someone either on staff or that they contract such work out to and let THEM do it.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,823 Posts
You might check and make sure it's the sleeve cap that's too big and not the sweater body that's too short. If that's not the case and the sleeve cap is just slightly too big, you could try gathering the top of the cap a bit and easing it into the opening as Jan suggested. If the sleeves are knit from the cuff to the shoulder, could you take the upper part of the sleeve out and re-knit it to a smaller size? Steeking is certainly a possibility. It would require stitching over the area inside the proposed cut line a few times with the sewing machine set on very short stitch lengths.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
teifert1
Casting On

it is the sleeves caps that are too big but very much so.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
teifert1
Casting On

i did it over the weekend i went ahead and sewed and then cut my sleeves. i think it worked i will add pictures and a detailed description of how to do it very soon
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Antares
Working the Gusset

So glad this worked for you. Yes, please do post a picture and any helpful information you can. I'm sure others will have this problem, and solutions (other than frogging and reknitting) are few and far between.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote