Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
susanc
Turning the Heel

Knitting With Two Strands of Yarn
Hello Everyone,
I have a pattern to knit a pair of slippers that calls for knitting with two strands of yarn. What is the best way to do this? Do I knit from both ends of the same skein? I've never tried this before and am not sure the best way so that the yarn doesn't get all twisted.
I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you!

I'm a chick with sticks and I'm not afraid to use them!

susanc

http://susanc-yarnnut.blogspot.com
susanc is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
You can with with both ends of the skein or you can knit with two skeins. I prefer two skeins myself because I found the yarns get tangled less. They still twist together, but you can learn to minimize this by the way you turn your work.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
susanc (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
susanc
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
You can with with both ends of the skein or you can knit with two skeins. I prefer two skeins myself because I found the yarns get tangled less. They still twist together, but you can learn to minimize this by the way you turn your work.
Thank you Jan. Do you make sure the yarn is not twisted as you're placing stitches on the needles or do you just not worry about it? I just am worried about the slippers looking "messy".
Also, you mentioned about the way you turn your work ~ could you elaborate on that please? Thank you!

susanc

Last edited by susanc : 01-15-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Forgot another question
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
They're going to twist around each other on the needles in the individual stitches, so don't worry about that. It won't look like it when you're done, especially if these are to be felted.

The loose yarn coming from the skein/ball will tangle and twist somewhat too, but you can minimize that by putting them in separate bags or bowls. If you're using just one skein, you can let the work dangle and untwist every once in a while if it drives you crazy. If you always turn your work the same direction at the end of every row, it's going to make the twist worse, so if you alternate the directions that can help.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
susanc (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I've worked from both ends of the same ball and from two different balls, and noticed that using two usually results in LESS twisting together, but it won't eliminate it altogether.

Normally I'll work from both ends unless I know before I start that I'm going to use multiple balls. I'm not a fan of joins (actually it's weaving in ends I'm not a fan of) so I try to avoid having a bunch of partial balls lying around. If it's only going to take a single ball, I just use both ends. That way I have one big ball rather than two little ones when I'm done. (Oh stop it, GG!)

As for how to avoid it, you'll never eliminate it completely. But if you notice that one particular movement is producing more twisting than the others, you might be able to compensate as you go. And depending on the yarn you're using and the pattern you're making, it may not matter if it twists together or not.

Good luck!
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
susanc (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
susanc
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
They're going to twist around each other on the needles in the individual stitches, so don't worry about that. It won't look like it when you're done, especially if these are to be felted.

The loose yarn coming from the skein/ball will tangle and twist somewhat too, but you can minimize that by putting them in separate bags or bowls. If you're using just one skein, you can let the work dangle and untwist every once in a while if it drives you crazy. If you always turn your work the same direction at the end of every row, it's going to make the twist worse, so if you alternate the directions that can help.
Thank you ~ I am using Red Heart "Fiesta" yarn and they are not going to be felted ~ it's the Bernat Super Value Men's & Ladie's Slippers pattern in the "Harvest" color ~ but hopefully they will look nice when they're finished. They are going to be a gift for my SIL's father who asked if I would knit him a pair of slippers to replace a pair that he's had for a LONG time and have big holes in them! I just hope he'll like them!

susanc

Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

When you turn your work just don't always turn the same direction. At least that's what I remember. You can usually tell when turn if its going to twist. If it gets twisted I hold the two skeins up and key the work untwist.

If you are knitting with both ends of the yarn on one skein you can hold it up like Sue said as long as the ball isn't too loose. Once it becomes loose from use it can be harder at least in my experience.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

One other thing I forgot, by using 2 strands you make the EASIEST increase in the WORLD available. Just knit each strand as a separate stitch and you get the same increase ratio as a kfb (2:1) and the increase is virtually invisible. You can see where it IS, but you can't see IT. And there's no complicated fidgey-widgieness to it. There may be a real official name for it, but I don't know wha tit is... I just call it "kss" for "knit strands separately.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Also thought of something else... Make you are knitting both yarns so it's double. If you accidentally knit each strand separately you'll do unintended increases.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 01-15-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Autocorrect strikes again lol
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,594 Posts
union tended increases

autocorrect?

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote