Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
melinda9723
1st Leg of the Journey

substitute for bulky wool yarn?
My husband mentioned to me this morning that he needed a hat for work that covers his ears and neck.

So I ran to my computer with my coffee in hand in search of an easy knitted pattern than I could make.

I found the pattern I want to use but after going to every yarn store in my area I could not find the yarn I need. Luckily, I did find the needles I need at the last store I went to.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTbluehills.html

I'm not sure how to buy wool yarn so I didn't buy any yarn at all.
I have acrylic yarn and was wondering if I used two strands would it equal to what I need?

I would like to make him a hat out of wool one day as well but I don't want to use that scratchy wool. I was thinking along the lines of soft but warm.

Thanks in advance for any help.
melinda9723 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think you probably could do 2 strands together. You could try a swatch with your yarn and see if you get gauge. You might also check at ravelry to see if you can find a similar pattern that would work with the yarn you have. They have more hats than Carter has pills. Oh my, I bet nobody says that anymore.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
melinda9723 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
melinda9723
1st Leg of the Journey

I was just thinking about making a swatch to see if I came up with the gauge on the pattern! Thanks, will also try Ralvery.

My gauge matches the gauge on the pattern! I haven't used many knitting patterns so this is exciting to me.

Last edited by melinda9723 : 01-16-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Looks like they're stranding the fingering weight together with the bulky stuff for part of the pattern anyway, so if you're planning on doing that part of the pattern, you'll actually be working three strands for part of it if you double up on the main yarn. But you should be able to find a bulky kind of SOMETHING that will give you the right gauge without having to hold 2 strands.

Depending on what kind of work your husband does, you might want to avoid mohair anyway, unless the Lamb's Pride is machine washable. Cascade 128 Superwash would probably do the job, and it's close to the same yardage/weight. Plymouth makes a chunky version of Encore too, but I'm not sure you could get the gauge they specify with that. In my memory, it's a little thinner. But you could probably get away with either one anyway. The designer says it stretches for days, so if it's a little smaller than the given dimensions it probably doesn't matter.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
melinda9723 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by melinda9723 View Post

I would like to make him a hat out of wool one day as well but I don't want to use that scratchy wool. I was thinking along the lines of soft but warm.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I think that most superwash wools are soft and not scratchy.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizars1735 For This Useful Post:
melinda9723 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
melinda9723
1st Leg of the Journey

He is a local truck driver so he is outside just about all day.

I don't know the different types of wool so I thought it was best to leave it there until I got some advice. I would cry if I made a hat and washed it and it shrank because I bought the wrong yarn.

Doesn't super wash shrink when washed? Or are the ones that don't say super washed shrink when washed and used for felting?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by melinda9723 View Post
He is a local truck driver so he is outside just about all day.

I don't know the different types of wool so I thought it was best to leave it there until I got some advice. I would cry if I made a hat and washed it and it shrank because I bought the wrong yarn.

Doesn't super wash shrink when washed? Or are the ones that don't say super washed shrink when washed and used for felting?
The Cascade 128 Superwash is soft, not at all scratchy and machine washable in cold water without shrinking. I think the label says you can tumble dry on low, but it dries fast enough flat. I used it for this hat.

There IS a NON-superwash version of Cascade 128 as well, which I've used for THIS hat. It WILL shrink (and felt) in hot water, so make sure which one you're buying before you buy it.
melinda9723 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Superwash is treated to be washable (that's why it says 'wash' in its name) and often has to be dried in the dryer or it'll stretch out. I find regular cascade 220 to be scratchier than most acrylics, but I haven't felt the superwash version.

Using 2 strands of worsted can be a little thick for bulky, but as long as you got gauge and it's not too stiff (which makes it less soft sometimes) then you're fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
melinda9723 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Superwash is treated to be washable (that's why it says 'wash' in its name) and often has to be dried in the dryer or it'll stretch out. I find regular cascade 220 to be scratchier than most acrylics, but I haven't felt the superwash version.

Using 2 strands of worsted can be a little thick for bulky, but as long as you got gauge and it's not too stiff (which makes it less soft sometimes) then you're fine.
I haven't tried machine drying the Cascade, but I did do it with some superwash merino I used in a shawl. It shrunk slightly in the dryer, but that was okay... it made it snap into shape really nice. But I'm always skeptical about putting wool in the dryer, no matter what the label says.

I'm with you on the regular Cascade 220, but I've used the 220 superwash hand paint and it's different. I don't know if the treatment they give it to make it washable does it or what, but it's not as scratchy. The Cascade 128 superwash was fantastic, like the Bon Ami of yarn... (hasn't scratched yet... oh did I just tell on MYself!)
melinda9723 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
melinda9723
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks everyone. I am working the pattern now. Although, I have to rip it all out and start over because I missed the kfb at the end of the rows!

It doesn't look like it will be stiff at all because it is soft as I am making it. I'm just going to stick to my 2 strands for now.

I am hoping to finish it tonight so he can wear it to work tomorrow even through I am a slow knitter!

I will try to post a pic when I am done.