Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

FO: SImple Socks
This is my fourth pair since I started knitting at the beginning of 2012, I finished them last Sunday and I'm wearing them today to keep my tootsies warm! Apart from the rib they're just basic knitting, I'm eyeing up a simple patterned pair for my next ones. The wool is just cheap stuff from JoAnns, a Deborah Norville sock yarn which is a merino wool, bamboo and nylon mix in Mint.

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me

Last edited by butlersabroad : 01-17-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: yarn detail
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
Great socks. They look wonderfully warm and comfy, look good too. Socks are so satisfying to make, so lovely to wear. Your toes are surely loving the socks they're in. Were they top-down?

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Very nice socks and they look nice and warm. You did a nice job!
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
butlersabroad (01-18-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

Beautiful socks! Love those mint green stripes paired with the variegated yarn.

By the way, are you a kayaker (I noticed your avatar)? Wait! Don't answer that. I just read your intro post and see that you, indeed, ARE a kayaker! Hooray! Another kayak knitter--not that I mix the two hobbies, you understand; usually I'm too busy paddling and fishing to do any knitting on the water. My husband and I got "engagement" kayaks a little over 5 years ago. Fun! Fun!

Last edited by Antares : 01-17-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Cause I'm an idiot!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Socks are top down, I've heard of toe up, two at a time and magic loop, but one thing at a time ladies! I don't think I'm a natural knitter, I have to really concentrate on what I'm doing and I don't find it easy to learn new techniques... but on the other hand I learnt to knit anyway and then taught myself socks so I suppose we have to start somewhere.

So far I'm liking the self patterning or striping yarn, it looks complicated when it isn't at all.

And Antares, you really made me laugh! "Last edited by Antares : Today at 02:50 PM. Reason: Cause I'm an idiot! "

Yes we kayak, I like kayaking on large lakes rather than rivers, my boat is 13 1/2 ft so the rivers can get a bit tight at times. We like to go camping and the kayaks and mountain bikes always go with us. Lots of fun.

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
colleen114
Ribbing the Cuff

Pretty!!! And really comfy-looking.

I want to tackle socks at some point too. Shooting for a hat next to go with the scarf I just finished. Then maybe socks if I feel ready for it.
colleen114 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colleen114 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
Beautiful work and very nicely finished socks. Well done!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Antares
Working the Gusset

Oh, so this yarn is self-striping? That's cool. I sometimes agonize over what colors go together, so I love it when someone else decides for me (well, when I agree with their choice).

We have Wilderness System Tarpon 100s (10-foot sit-on-top kayaks rigged out for fishing), and we kayak everywhere we can--lakes, rivers, bayous, small ponds that used to be great big lakes (we're in a drought), etc. etc.

We like to camp, too, (we don't go nearly as often as we'd like), and we often take the kayaks with us. We also do a lot of day trips to nearby small ponds that used to be great big lakes.

Happy paddling and knitting to you!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Yeah, I didn't want plain sox and knew nothing about joining yarn or weaving in ends etc, so I went with the self striping yarns, part of the fun is seeing how they come out.

Here are the others I made last year so you can see more patterns and colours.

This was my first ever pair, Patons Kroy Socks Ragg Shades.

My second pair was in Sensations Bamboo and Ewe! I bought it for the name, loved it!!

And this pair I made for my husband. Red Heart, Heart and Sole in Toasted Almond.

The next pair I start will be for me and will be patterned so I've picked a plain yarn from my stash, another Deborah Norville yarn in a dusky pink, but I haven't started yet, hopefully this weekend as it's going to be really cold so I'll stay indoors.

Antares - If you have bayous then you must be in the South somewhere! It was 15F when I left home this morning for work, so we can only kayak Spring through Autumn. Our boats are Peception Carolina's and are large lake/ocean going ones with rudders, we can stay out for hours with them.

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Antares
Working the Gusset

Oh, wow! All your socks are beautiful--nice choices on the colors you chose, too! Now, young lady, get your feet off the table! Oh never mind--your feet, your table!

Yes, I'm in Texas, where we have a bayou or two . . . or three. Our kayaks don't have rudders, but we, too, spend all day in them (with some breaks for important necessities, of course)--it's not hard to stay in them all day, especially when the fish are biting.