Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

And on the vexed question of wasted yarn? I have two cats who are ALWAYS in the mood for a new yarn toy ...
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Use knots. Seriously, I have been for years. They don't move and they don't come untied. My method is to loosely tie the ends together, work a couple rows then come back and move the knot so it's on the purl bump on the WS, retie it. Then I also weave in the ends to anchor it in place. Can't be seen on the RS.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,763 Times in 2,326 Posts
Quote:
Use knots
I wasn't a boy scout and never learned to tie knots securely...on purpose, I can get all kinds of hard to undo knots in my yarn when I'm trying to avoid them. What knot do you use? I know how to tie a square knot. Would that work?

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I wasn't a boy scout and never learned to tie knots securely...on purpose, I can get all kinds of hard to undo knots in my yarn when I'm trying to avoid them. What knot do you use? I know how to tie a square knot. Would that work?
I've used this knot in scarves. Although I know a lot of knitters think putting knots in is a knitting sin. I only just learned what "weaving in the ends" actually does. I never thought that doing that would be secure.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizars1735 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by DavidSydney63 View Post
I must say, I don't like starting a new ball of yarn in the middle of a row as I'm not confident with the russian method of joining yarn. And, often, I'm working with hybrid commercial yarns that have polyester or synthetic blending with animal fibers and they don't splice together very well for me.
I don't worry about using the Russian Join (which is handy, since I've never learned it). I just drop the old strand and start with the new one. It's a little loose for the first stitch -- maybe two -- but everything'll get fastened down fine on the next row/round (sometimes it takes a little extra "convincing" on that row when you get to where the last/first stitches are, but you just have to be firm with it.) Once the ends are woven in it's not coming apart, which is the goal here. If it's especially "slick" yarn, I might go so far as tying a square knot in it to hold it together. That can be taken out later -- or not if I determine that its not going to matter.

That said, if I'm working in a pattern that's very "open" and I don't think I can hide the woven ends very well, I'll get a bit more concerned about where I stop/join. Or if there's a color change involved -- stripes or some such. Then you obviously have to start at the beginning.

Worst case is that I run out in the middle and have to back up to the start of the row. NOBODY likes to do this, but it's not exactly the End Times if you have to.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

I must say, I don't like starting a new ball of yarn in the middle of a row as I'm not confident with the russian method of joining yarn. And, often, I'm working with hybrid commercial yarns that have polyester or synthetic blending with animal fibers and they don't splice together very well for me.
I have the same problem. I always feel like knotting cottons and acrylic/nylon blends in order to get a decent join. I think joins in the middle of a row are often noticeable anyway, even with wool and the Russian method. There is often a slight thickness or stiffness there. Well, at least there is on my sweaters.

Also, I love this topic. I never gauge correctly whether or not I have enough left for a row. I always think I have so much yarn left, but I read somewhere that you need at least four times the length of your row for st st. That's a lot!
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post
I've used this knot in scarves. Although I know a lot of knitters think putting knots in is a knitting sin. I only just learned what "weaving in the ends" actually does. I never thought that doing that would be secure.

Usually I knit a couple stitches w/both yarns and then weave in ends. Using mostly synthetic yarns I can't use the ones like the Russian join at least I don't think so.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I don't worry about using the Russian Join (which is handy, since I've never learned it). I just drop the old strand and start with the new one. It's a little loose for the first stitch -- maybe two -- but everything'll get fastened down fine on the next row/round (sometimes it takes a little extra "convincing" on that row when you get to where the last/first stitches are, but you just have to be firm with it.) Once the ends are woven in it's not coming apart, which is the goal here. If it's especially "slick" yarn, I might go so far as tying a square knot in it to hold it together. That can be taken out later -- or not if I determine that its not going to matter.

That said, if I'm working in a pattern that's very "open" and I don't think I can hide the woven ends very well, I'll get a bit more concerned about where I stop/join. Or if there's a color change involved -- stripes or some such. Then you obviously have to start at the beginning.

Worst case is that I run out in the middle and have to back up to the start of the row. NOBODY likes to do this, but it's not exactly the End Times if you have to.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Wake up, mojo, smell the java. End times is the very problem under discussion. Your name says it all today, mo(re)jo(e).

Old 01-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I was a girl scout and we learned knots. The only one I can do though is the square knot and that's what I use.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-19-2013)