Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A yo doesn't use another stitch, it's just wrapping around the needle to add 1 stitch; whatever you do next will anchor it, you do not knit the next stitch unless that's what's in the pattern.

So after you do the first k2, wrap the yarn as if you were knitting a stitch except the needle isn't put into a stitch on the other needle, then bring the yarn to the front between the needles to p1, and after that lay the yarn loosely over the top of the needle to do the k2.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-18-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
A yo doesn't use another stitch, it's just wrapping around the needle to add 1 stitch; whatever you do next will anchor it, you do not knit the next stitch unless that's what's in the pattern.

So after you do the first k2, wrap the yarn as if you were knitting a stitch except the needle isn't put into a stitch on the other needle, then bring the yarn to the front between the needles to p1, and after that lay the yarn loosely over the top of the needle to do the k2.
There's another YO after the p1, before the next k2... but it should be worked the same as the first YO, right? And then lay the yarn across the top for the k2?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

They're not worked the same way and I covered that - after the p1, bring the yarn over the needles to k2. When you go from a knit to a purl you make a regular yo then bring the yarn to the front, sort of 1 wraps around the needle, not a full 2 wraps. When going from p to knit, you only have to lay the yarn over the top of the needle loosely and that makes a yo that's like half a wrap.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Sue, your way of explaining makes sense to me. I just tried it and wrapping the yarn as if to knit or as if to purl is exactly what I do. I could never have figured out to say it that way. Thanks! Sometimes I like to know what I'm doing and how it works.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

They're not worked the same way and I covered that - after the p1, bring the yarn over the needles to k2. When you go from a knit to a purl you make a regular yo then bring the yarn to the front, sort of 1 wraps around the needle, not a full 2 wraps. When going from p to knit, you only have to lay the yarn over the top of the needle loosely and that makes a yo that's like half a wrap.
Ahhh... I think I get it. I wasn't equating the laying over to a YO ... I guess because it didn't actually go around the needle. Must be brain freeze. The office is like a morgue today.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

It's still going 'over' the needle though... People often try to overcomplicate YOs when it's just simply putting the yarn over the needle. For some reason, when I first encountered one in a pattern, I didn't have trouble doing it - I just did what the pattern said, took the yarn over the needle. Same thing for kfb, knit into the front and back of the same stitch. Easy.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Sue, your way of explaining makes sense to me. I just tried it and wrapping the yarn as if to knit or as if to purl is exactly what I do. I could never have figured out to say it that way. Thanks! Sometimes I like to know what I'm doing and how it works.
I used to describe them as 'air stitches' - you're not knitting into a stitch on the other needle, you're knitting into the 'air'. Something like air guitar, I imagine....

Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

It's still going 'over' the needle though... People often try to overcomplicate YOs when it's just simply putting the yarn over the needle. For some reason, when I first encountered one in a pattern, I didn't have trouble doing it - I just did what the pattern said, took the yarn over the needle. Same thing for kfb, knit into the front and back of the same stitch. Easy.
I'd only ever done YO's by accident until I started working on Christmas presents this past year. For some reason when I had to do it on purpose, I went blank. And THEN I started hearing all the variations on the theme and the circuit breaker tripped to keep me from exploding I guess. Plus it's a lot easier to do than it is to visualize (without doing).

As for kfb, that was the first stitch I ever knitted in my life. It wasn't so much complicated as just hard to DO because I'd gotten the slip knot for the CO1 too tight. Strangely enough (or maybe not) I had less trouble getting into the back of the stitch I'd just knit into the front of than I did getting into the back of an M1. I figure it was probably the geometry of it, because it didn't seem to matter how loose the M1 loop was, I couldn't chase down the back loop of it. Finally I figured out that I could accomplish the same thing by cramming the LH needle into the FRONT loop.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
suzeeq
Knit On!

You can also do kbf - knit into the back first, then the front. For some reason I'm finding that easier to do in garter stitch.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

You can also do kbf - knit into the back first, then the front. For some reason I'm finding that easier to do in garter stitch.
I tend to avoid the kfb unless it's specifically called for because I don't really like the "bar" it makes. But in garter stitch that's probably not as evident, huh? I've never tried doing it in reverse though. In my head that looks a fright, but I suspect that in the real world it's not so scary.

The one that blew my mind was knit into the back, purl into the front. (kbpf? I dunno...) I couldn't think of any compelling reason to do that, so I promptly banished it. Keeping up with all the variants of M1 is about all my brain can hold. Actually... it won't even hold all of that.