Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
Thanks! I think it's Wendy's design (which could explain why she was able to fix the things she did). She's done a couple of them (at least) which is where I got the idea. I should really know better...
Is this pattern written out?
Is it copyrighted?
Would the lovely Wendy consider sharing it and if so how much would she charge?

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it IRL but I've been thinking of it done in icy blues and white.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Is this pattern written out?
Is it copyrighted?
Would the lovely Wendy consider sharing it and if so how much would she charge?

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it IRL but I've been thinking of it done in icy blues and white.
Oh I like that idea! In fact, if I'd had blues instead of greys, I'd probably have done that myself.

Wendy wrote out the pattern by hand, and I'm virtually certain she wouldn't mind sharing it. But I'll ask her anyway. 'Cos that'd be the right thing.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Oh I like that idea! In fact, if I'd had blues instead of greys, I'd probably have done that myself.

Wendy wrote out the pattern by hand, and I'm virtually certain she wouldn't mind sharing it. But I'll ask her anyway. 'Cos that'd be the right thing.
I absolutely agree! Don't worry that I'll be offended or anything if she prefers not to share it. I fear the chances that I'd actually ever get around to doing it aren't that great, I might try it with stash yarn and that would be the end of it. Please pass along to her that if she doesn't care to share it, it's quite alright.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I absolutely agree! Don't worry that I'll be offended or anything if she prefers not to share it. I fear the chances that I'd actually ever get around to doing it aren't that great, I might try it with stash yarn and that would be the end of it. Please pass along to her that if she doesn't care to share it, it's quite alright.
Just heard back and Wendy's got no issues sharing. I didn't think she would -- she's cool that way. But I'll have to look at the notes she wrote out for everything but the pattern repeat. There's a bit at the beginning I can't remember exactly, and without knowing that I can't compute the CO. I think it's a multiple of 10 + 2, but I'm not entirely sure. The cool thing is that other than the pattern repeat, it's pretty much wide open to interpretation.

You'll be astonished at how easy it actually is, despite what it looks like. It's not complicated, just easy to get off count. Well, for me it was anyway.

More later when I have my notes!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Just heard back and Wendy's got no issues sharing. I didn't think she would -- she's cool that way. But I'll have to look at the notes she wrote out for everything but the pattern repeat. There's a bit at the beginning I can't remember exactly, and without knowing that I can't compute the CO. I think it's a multiple of 10 + 2, but I'm not entirely sure. The cool thing is that other than the pattern repeat, it's pretty much wide open to interpretation.

You'll be astonished at how easy it actually is, despite what it looks like. It's not complicated, just easy to get off count. Well, for me it was anyway.

More later when I have my notes!
If some of it is left "open to interpretation" just say so, after all if nobody's getting money for it (I think that's what you mean, if not correct me) why should you put in a lot of time on it?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #26
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

If some of it is left "open to interpretation" just say so, after all if nobody's getting money for it (I think that's what you mean, if not correct me) why should you put in a lot of time on it?
Okay, notes in hand now. I was close on the CO but not quite.
So.

CO a multiple of 10 sts + 1. It's knit lengthwise, so the CO will determine your finished length.

Then:

k one row. This is actually optional, but Wendy did it that way, so I did too.

Then the fun starts.

all RS rows:
k2tog, k3, m1, *k1,m1,k3,dbl dec,k3,m1*, rep from * to * until 6 sts remain, k1, m1, k3, ssk (and if you happened to have any sts left over, just knit 'em. )

The double decrease I used was sl2tog, k1, p2sso, but you can use another method if you'd rather.

For the other WS rows, I knit one row after each color change and purled the others. The knit rows are optional, but they help minimize curling and add a garter ridge at intervals that adds some interest. (Mostly I did it that way 'cos that's how Wendy did it.)

I did the BO on the WS... also because that's how Wendy did it.

Everything except the pattern rows is pretty much a free-for-all. If you want to know how I did it, I'll be happy to share.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

It turned out very pretty. Is the pattern on Ravelry?
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
It turned out very pretty. Is the pattern on Ravelry?
I transcribed as much of a pattern as it has in the post above. It wasn't any kind of real official pattern, more of a pattern stitch with a little bit before and after, and repeated x times in each row. But that allows for almost infinite variations on it, of which this was only one. There's nothing about it that's "formalized" enough for Ravelry, etc. but you could make it from what I wrote above. I didn't specify yarn, needles or gauge because that's pretty much a free-for-all. You can use whatever suits you!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
Antares
Working the Gusset

Mojo, thank you so much for writing this pattern out, and please pass our appreciation on to Wendy, too! She's a real sweetie for sharing her pattern with us (and for free)!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #30
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Mojo, thank you so much for writing this pattern out, and please pass our appreciation on to Wendy, too! She's a real sweetie for sharing her pattern with us (and for free)!
I'll definitely do that. She's cool that way -- and many other ways too.