Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
skarras
Casting On

how to add on stitches to a hat band
I have already made this hat once and had trouble on the hat band. Trying it again on a new hat. Vogue Ultimate hat book Anna Al's Sunflower Medallion Beret. At the point where you go from the main hat (160 stitches, knitting in the round) to the hat band. It says to work back and forth cast on 30 stitches. Right away there is not enough stretch to reach the stitches. I had to put the extra 30 stitches on each end on a double pointed needle. Feel very stupid. There must be a way. Also when I look at pictures of the this hat from other people the tie look looks very droopy. If anyone has made this hat, please let me know what you did at this point.
Thanks Sharon
skarras is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
Sunflower Medallion Beret
Is this it? That's a really cute hat. I don't understand about there not being enough stretch to reach the stitches. It will probably make sense to someone else though.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,387 Times in 3,068 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Thanks for the link, GG. Sounds like the extra cast on sts are for the ties on the hatband.
I don't know what length needle you're using but you may be working on a short circular needle at this point. If you can change to a circular with a longer cable, this headband will be easier to do. Then you can cast on the 30sts, pull the cable out near the right hand needle and give yourself some ease to use the right hand needle without stretching the knitting.
Do you want the tie to be droopy or would you prefer it to be shorter and closer to the band? You can experiment with casting on more sts for the tie (35sts?) on a swatch until you get the drape that you like with your yarn.