Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Well It Happened!
The question I had posed about resting the needle on my stomach in the T-Pose or cross fashion while knitting. It finally happened. My brand new stainless steel cable powered needle broke!

Luckily I had gotten a kit the weekend prior so I had a replacement. I'll be getting more of the interchangeable circulars.

To those newbies like myself that are going to get or are thinking of getting rounds, consider getting the interchangeable rounds. This was when the cable breaks you aren't out a full needle just a 3 or 4 dollar cable.

런닝맨
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
The question I had posed about resting the needle on my stomach in the T-Pose or cross fashion while knitting. It finally happened. My brand new stainless steel cable powered needle broke!

Luckily I had gotten a kit the weekend prior so I had a replacement. I'll be getting more of the interchangeable circulars.

To those newbies like myself that are going to get or are thinking of getting rounds, consider getting the interchangeable rounds. This was when the cable breaks you aren't out a full needle just a 3 or 4 dollar cable.
Well da*n, dude. Hate it for ya. Haven't had that experience (yet) but none of my circulars are connected by steel cable either, so that might have something to do with it. Plastic will work harden too, but not as easily. It's a good thing to know though, because one of the interchangeable sets I was looking at does use braided stainless cables (even though the single length needles that manufacturer makes don't). So this adventure might factor into my decision on which one to get.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Wow, not sure exactly what you mean, but bummer!

In all the years I've had interchangeables I had the cable pull out of the join twice. I ordered a new one at Knitpicks which they promptly sent, but in the meantime I gave it to my DH and he fixed it with hot glue. You have to be really careful to not get enough that it goes over the edge and creates a snag on your cable. I'm not sure how he did it (I can ask), but it worked great both times. So I got the new cables and have the original ones as well.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

@mojo11, don't discount the stainless needles just don't get the ones that aren't interchangeable. The one that broke wasn't had it been it would have been a matter of just replacing the cable. Since they weren't interchangeable I lost the needle set.

I love the stainless circular rounds.

@Jan in CA, I noticed it due to it catching a few stitches. So I brought out the kit and hooked up the size needles I wanted and kept going.

Good times. I'm more than miffed that I didn't start knitting sooner in my life. I'm loving it so much.

런닝맨
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

@mojo11, don't discount the stainless needles just don't get the ones that aren't interchangeable.
If I opt for the other set it'll probably be for other reasons. Like not wanting to buy a bunch of stuff I'll never use because of the way the sizes run in the small and large sets -- with cables that don't interchange between sets.

This particular set has the braided stainless sheathed in plastic, which would help with strain relief, but also adds to the thickness -- and possibly stiffness -- of the cable. Since the single length needles don't use this kind of cable, I don't have a way of finding that out unless I get the set. And that's a lot of cake to lay out on speculation. The other set I'm looking into is the one my girlfriend got (actually two sets... she got the "add-on" set with the larger sizes too). With that one I have the advantage of being able to try them out first. And they cost a bit less once you're done with all the extras. Actually, now I do the math, it's a good bit less ($40 or more).
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,598 Posts
Dude, knitting is supposed to involve the hands, not the digestive system. LOL I think you need to figure out how to leave the tum tum out of the knitting process. Depending on how something breaks and/or slips, a sharp point could do some damage. I can see it now, Dude quits knitting, he just can't stomach it. Please be careful. I've bloodied fingers with sharp points more than once.

mojo, I have a ChiaoGoo fixed circ and it has stainless sheathed in something cable and it's OK but definitely heavier and not as flexible at the ones with my Knit Picks Options. I also decided I don't really like the ergonomic bend in them.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Good times. I'm more than miffed that I didn't start knitting sooner in my life. I'm loving it so much.
I have that same thought all the time! Knitting is just my favorite thing! I really feel for people who don't have any hobbies.
Oh, and sorry about your cable, but it's cool that you can get more. I'm saving for a KA set, I hope replacements are easy to get.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Grumpy it's happened before cept not with knitting. While using different xacto blades for plane modeling I've dropped more than 1 that have stuck into the top of my foot. Hasn't stopped me building models. That's why we have Scooby-Doo band aids.

Rie, what is a KA set? I'm still not up to speed on all the brands. Or terminology for that matter.

런닝맨
Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
KA is a brand. You can order them online or maybe find them in your local yarn shop. The single needles are fairly inexpensive and they're cool - the cord is joined with a swivel.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Rie, what is a KA set? I'm still not up to speed on all the brands. Or terminology for that matter.
Sorry! That did sound a little cryptic.
KA stands for Kinki Amibari, which is a Japanese needle company. So they are like Clover but much better and cheaper. Really they are like Crystal Palace needles if you've ever used those, but of course lots cheaper!
I was buying them at my LYS but the owner says they are too hard for her to get now. I don't really understand the complexities of the knitting industry but thankfully I can still get them online at places like Paradise Fibers. However, I am a little worried by what my LYS owner told me. How could they be hard to get as they are so awesome? Are they going out of business? Should I be stocking up on replacement cords, etc? Is my LYS having difficulties? So many unknowns...
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote