Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #21
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

I am relatively new to knitting, and started out with bamboo needles. I liked them, but they were cheaply made and the tips got blunt. The cables were OK on some, and impossible on others, even after I soaked them in very hot water. I figured they wouldn't hold up over time, either way.

I wound up getting some Harmony wood interchangeable needles and cables from Knit Picks and I love them. They have a nice "heft:" not too light and not too heavy. The stitches glide easily over the joins. If I had known I would like them so much, I would've sprung for the full set, but also realize that I will probably use just several sizes, mainly. I did just order a 16 inch cable as an afterthought because I make a lot of hats so far.
This is a good pick for me because I don't like metal needles. The Harmony is a multi-colored wood, and the thin cables are purple (sort of fun). Good luck finding the right needles!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Off topic: is your jersey a reference to Spinal Tap?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post

I wound up getting some Harmony wood interchangeable needles and cables from Knit Picks and I love them. They have a nice "heft:" not too light and not too heavy. The stitches glide easily over the joins. If I had known I would like them so much, I would've sprung for the full set, but also realize that I will probably use just several sizes, mainly. I did just order a 16 inch cable as an afterthought because I make a lot of hats so far.
This is a good pick for me because I don't like metal needles. The Harmony is a multi-colored wood, and the thin cables are purple (sort of fun). Good luck finding the right needles!
Yes, they are awesome needles. The color bugs me a little with multicolored yarns so I will order the set of KP Sunstruck needles which are the same as Harmony in a beautiful blond wood. For now I'm happy with my few Harmony and Sunstruck and my full sets of nickel plated though.

BTW... As a new knitter...never say never. At some point in time you will probably want to have a full set of sizes. I have used all of mine. I prefer 6-8 and i have multiples of those, but it's nice to have the others if I need them.

I bought the 16" and now they rarely get used. Having to switch to another method for decreases is unnecessary with magic loop. I use that method for pretty much all circular knitting except very small diameter knitting.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #24
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Ha! I know that eventually I will use Magic Loop for most things, but I am "inching" toward it... I have to say that I am feeling triumphant after finishing a hat with DPNs! I was feeling intimidated by DPNs but so many hat patterns use them that I finally attempted it. It was EASY!

That said, I will try the Magic Loop pretty soon. I have sort of used it, but only did "half a loop." My pea-brain is still not completely wrapped around the 2 loop method, but that will come as a natural consequence of experimenting.

And thanks for the tip about the sunstruck needle tips, because they sound even better! i can envision using the colored tips w/ light colored yarns and the dark yarns with the blond ones!

Last edited by jinxnit55 : 03-11-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
Trying all of these techniques is the best way to find out which you prefer and for which patterns. They're all useful to know. I like dpns myself but single loop or magic loop come in handy too.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

I have the bamboo cheapies with the plastic tubing between them, and I adore them. First, you can buy tubing at the auto parts store and make your needles as long or short as you wish. Second, if the plastic tubing comes off, just put it back on, if you are going to be working with it for a while, doing a lot of tugging, etc. I just glue the tip on with hot glue, and it is solid. Then when I want to "undo" it, I dip it in boiling water for two seconds, and pull them back off.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #27
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I recently invested in an Addi Lace Shorts set. I love them. Wasn't sure about the short needles at first, but like the shorter needle length for smaller projects. I also like the lace in Addi better then the Turbo for most projects as they have a sharper point then the Turbos. The set I got has 5 sizes of cords and 8 sets of needles. The only drawback with these is they don't come in the smaller sizes. I've not needed anything so far that isn't in the set but may need to look into that in the future.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote