Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
kjw
Casting On

needle size for Bernat sweater pattern
I have decided to knit my first sweater. I've crocheted a few, so I'm not a total newbie, but the pattern I like is for intermediate knitters, so this could still be an interesting venture. It requires 2 different needle sizes, as follows:

Sizes 6.5 mm (U.S. 10) and 8 mm (U.S. 11) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.

I understand that I use whatever size gives me the correct gauge. Do I just go down a 1/2 size for the smaller needle. If I don't have the 1/2 size, can I drop down a whole size?

Here is the link to the pattern:

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=6383

Thanks!

KJ
kjw is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
I can't remember my login so can't see pattern, but you answered your own question. Do a gauge swatch and see if the needle sizes you have will work. If the smaller size is just for ribbing at neck edge, cuffs etc it will probably be fine, but to to be sure measure a swatch.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,507 Times in 3,181 Posts
Yes, a gauge swatch will get you to the correct needle size for the main body of the sweater. The smaller needle is used for a garter stitch edging and for the shawl collar. A size smaller will work but you'll be able to judge the needle size for the collar better after a few rows. You're knitting the collar in a long thin strip up from the front bands so it's pretty easy to adjust the size at that point.