Old 01-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Raynelle
Casting On

Making a button hole band - ?Rib 2tog?
I have the book "Yarn Girls' Guide to Kid Knits" and I have a question that does not appear to have instruction in the book. I am creating the button hole band on a cardigan and the instruction for the row I am on is:

Rib3, (YO, Rib2tog, Rib11) 4 times, Rib2tog, YO, Rib 3

I am good with the rib3, I found instruction for the YO as well as how to knit two together and purl two together but the book does not describe how to do a Rib2tog to create a button hole. So, when I get to that instruction I am between two purl stitches meaning the next two stitches I do together are one purl and one knit - so do I:

-YO then put the needle through the next two stitches purl wise? because the next stitch after the two together is a knit...

- YO then put the needle through the next two stitches knit wise? because the next stitch after the two together is a knit...

- YO then put the needle through the next two stitches and do a purl stitch followed by a knit stitch then slide both off the left needle? because the next stitch after the two together is a knit...

Please advise as I cannot continue finishing the project at this point. I have searched the internet, your website, and referred to my encyclopedia of knitting without result. I would appreciate the help.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Hi and welcome. Working two stitches together after a yo will create a hole (eyelet) which will be the buttonhole. To keep in pattern I would yo, k2tog and continue in pattern. When you come back to the yo after turning the work purl it. If you had a knit and purl to work together, then it would be a p2tog to keep in pattern.

ETA Oops! I should have said, as salmonmac did, to knit into the yo on the next row.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

Last edited by GrumpyGramma : 01-18-2014 at 02:11 PM.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
Rib 2 tog really just means to take the decrease into the rib pattern. You'll be short one stitch until the next row and then the rib pattern continues as usual.
If the next two sts are a purl with the yo between the purls and then a knit, i do a k2tog. That way you continue the column of knit sts. The yarn over falls into the "purl ditch" anyway. On the return row you'll have some number of purls, then knit the yarn over and knit the next stitch.
GrumpyGramma (01-18-2014), justplaincharlotte (01-18-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Raynelle
Casting On

thanks for help
Thank you ladies. That worked and it turned out pretty good for a first time sweater maker - just sorry I unraveled it five times before asking the question on the website. Thanks again.