Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Antares
Working the Gusset

Do you have one of the ball bands? I'd look to see what they recommend (hand washing? machine washing? laying flat to dry? drying in the dryer?).

I would go ahead and wash it even though cotton doesn't generally shrink that much. But it may have contracted some dust and fuzz in its creation, so it wouldn't hurt to wash and dry it per the original instructions.

If you don't have a ball band, you might look the yarn up online to find the washing/drying instructions. Or give us the name here; someone's bound to have used that kind of yarn before and can give you some direction.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
If the ball band says wash and dry, I would. Did you wash and dry a test swatch? I've never had a problem with shrinkage in cotton knits, but who knows what different yarns will do. Don't dry it too long, if you put it in the dryer.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I don't have the band anymore but it's Bernat handicrafter cotton twists.

I've used the handicrafter cotton before for dishcloths and I wash and dry those in the machine however they do shrink but go back to it's orginal size when wet, but with a bag I wouldn't want that.

So I think I should wash it and lay flat to dry (which if I am correct would be the time to block it) I've never blocked anything so this will be a first. How do you reccommed doing it? I'm also considering sewing in a snap button so I can open and close it.

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
Antares
Working the Gusset

I would probably machine wash it in cold water, and then lay it out flat on a towel on top of a waterproof surface--like a countertop or something. I usually stretch the object some so that it's the proper (or original) shape, and then just let it air dry. Some people pin the garment or object down if they think it's going to shrink, but you probably don't need to do that. However, after leaving it overnight, you may need to flip it over once, making sure it's still shaped correctly, and let the other side dry.

When it's completely dry, you can add your lining and snaps. Final instructions: Take another picture or two and post it on KH for us to oooh! and aaaaah! over!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote