Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,197 Times in 2,698 Posts
Thanks for the link. I don't have KP store my card info but I don't think they will let me remove my name and address. Over at ravelry they were saying how the KP customer service had gotten to be not so great. I don't know if KP was where the breach occurred that allowed fraudulent use of my card but at least the bank was quick on the draw and realized the use was out of pattern for me and declined a number of charges, the ones that did go through were refunded as soon as I submitted the required form. Maybe I'll email KP and tell them that as I believe their site was at fault and they didn't notify me I have no intention of ordering from them again. When this happened before I never found out how my acct. number was stolen and at that time I never had ordered online. Lovely world we live in.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
When i first started buying stuff online, i would send 2 separate emails w/ half the credit card info on one and half on the other. then I started using PayPal, and most sites will take that. i haven't heard of any problems with them (yet!) Computer hackers get ever more clever, don't they? When I'm at the ATM I always try to shield the keypad with my hand in case there's a teeny camera somewhere, but you can't think of everything. Where there's money involved, crooks will spend endless effort in order to think of ways to get it.

I always shield with my hand when I enter my PIN. It amazes me that more people don't do it. Anyone standing near you could see what your PIN is and there are cameras all over that crooks could look at and get PINs to connect with card useage. We all need to be more vigilant and aware.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
Unfortunately cards get hacked and sites get hacked all the time. As far as I know I haven't had fraudulent charges recently. Since it happens so often I'm not sure that the recent rash of hacking can be attributed to KP. With all the Christmas shopping at the time KP was hacked I think it could just well be any popular site.

I'm pretty sure I use Paypal most of the time. I won't stop shopping there just because of this incident.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Thanks for the link. I don't have KP store my card info but I don't think they will let me remove my name and address. Over at ravelry they were saying how the KP customer service had gotten to be not so great. I don't know if KP was where the breach occurred that allowed fraudulent use of my card but at least the bank was quick on the draw and realized the use was out of pattern for me and declined a number of charges, the ones that did go through were refunded as soon as I submitted the required form. Maybe I'll email KP and tell them that as I believe their site was at fault and they didn't notify me I have no intention of ordering from them again. When this happened before I never found out how my acct. number was stolen and at that time I never had ordered online. Lovely world we live in.
It is frustrating. The way KP handled this has annoyed me a little, but at the same time I feel kinda sorry for them because they are fighting a losing battle against very determined gangs who make billions a year on thousands of these scams. Some of these chuckleheads are building their skills for the big leagues or helping to fund such organizations. It's all very dire.

I think it may have been someone on this site who gave me the idea, but tomorrow I'm going to start using a gift card VISA for every transaction. My credit union sells them inside. I don't think there is much reason to continue to work from my checking account anymore. I have a few things that are directly drafted, but the CU says they can fix that. Yay!

I think my yahoo account has also been hacked because I got a message saying I can no longer send emails without typing in a special code because of suspicious activity on my account. I checked my sent messages and nothing weird has been sent from my account, but its still an unnerving thing to have happen. I'm not sure I like the internet right now.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Warnings of suspicious activity make me wary. The call I got from my bank was recorded, I thought it was a phony call to get me to give out info and so checked w/my local branch. Found out it was valid. I'd just looked at my acct. online that morning and all was well was why I suspected a phishing scam with the call from the bank. The reloadable VISA seems like a good idea. My concern is what charges are associated with the use of one? I'll have to look into it. I tend to use cash for a lot of local purchases, I only use bank ATMs. Even they aren't 100% safe. I do use my card for gas. Maybe that's a convenience I should forgo.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #26
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Warnings of suspicious activity make me wary. The call I got from my bank was recorded, I thought it was a phony call to get me to give out info and so checked w/my local branch. Found out it was valid. I'd just looked at my acct. online that morning and all was well was why I suspected a phishing scam with the call from the bank. The reloadable VISA seems like a good idea. My concern is what charges are associated with the use of one? I'll have to look into it. I tend to use cash for a lot of local purchases, I only use bank ATMs. Even they aren't 100% safe. I do use my card for gas. Maybe that's a convenience I should forgo.
I got a Verified By VISA phishing email last week informing me that my card had been suspended. It looked so real that I called my bank. They told me that Verified By VISA is real and most retailers online are moving toward working with them, but that the email wasn't real. I *almost* clicked that link. My credit union also said they would be happy to help me establish an account with Verified By VISA. They are really super helpful about online security and I need to start taking them up on it, because I'm a little too thick for this mess.

As far as card prices go, again I'm very lucky that I'm with a credit union. From their website:
"Applicable Fees and Charges: The fee for issuance and handling of each card purchased online is $2.50. The total cost of the cards will be debited from the account you select. After the twelfth (12) month of inactivity a $1.00 fee will be assessed each month until all funds on the cards are exhausted or activity resumes. If your VISA Gift Card is lost or stolen, an $8.00 replacement fee will be deducted from the remaining balance to be applied to the replacement card."
To me, that's a great deal. I hope your bank doesn't charge you too much.

Mr Rie would tell you to always pay cash at the pump unless you have one of these gift cards. He still hasn't recovered from getting scammed. Don't mess with a man's ride I guess.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rie For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

We only bank with the credit union. They make us change our password online regularly and have close accounts when they suspect fraudulent activity and issue new cards. We feel more comfortable with them than a bank.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

That's a good idea. I work for the federal govt. (VA hospital) so I should switch over to the Credit Union there. We've gotten tired of US Bank; they charge extra for everything. And just this Christmas, I ordered a bunch of Peet's Coffee online for friends and relatives one day. The next day I went to get gas and the card was declined. The customer service rep said it was because of the extra unusual activity the day before. ??? Like, somebody's going to steal a credit card and buy all their friends coffee? Maybe, I guess, but it seemed kind of crazy to me (especially when I needed gas!)
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

It's good that they are paying attention though.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

True! Hey, I am just now trying the circular join (have been preoccupied by trying to buy a new car the past 2 days, an equally daunting task) and I am still doing something wrong. I tried both Marina's and Grumpy Grandma's videos and the join somehow doesn't happen. I get this huge long piece of yarn inbetween the two needles that I have to pull through by hand to tighten the stitch. I'll keep trying, but something is wrong.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote