Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by HeathersHobbies View Post
Yeah I saw that site but the pattern calls for 9mm needles I am gonna have to keep searching. Thanks
Try giving them a call. I've gotten things from several knitting stores, including paradisefibers, that they didn't have listed online. They usually have to special order it, but they don't charge extra. Patternworks and JimmyBeanswool are two others that have lots of needle choices and good customer service.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
The small ones hurt my hands. There are so many other ways to knit in the round. I prefer ML, but I leaned with DPN then went to two circs.

We have videos here. You can go to the top of the page or look in my sig for a link to the whole archive. The ones for knitting in the round are under advanced techniques.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Hiya Hiya makes stainless circs as short as 9", but I cringe at how short the tips would be. Having big man-paws I even find the tips on 16" circs a bit clumsy. (Of course that has nothing to do with my coordination you understand...)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Marina1109 View Post
You need a 9mm or 9" ??

On your first post you asked about a 12"

The site I posted, carries
9" ~ 12" ~ 16" ~ 24" ~ 29" ~ 30" ~ 40" ~ 48" ~ 60"
a 9mm 12" circular knitting needle sorry for the confusion. I bought two 9mm 16" circular needles. I am gonna try knitting in the round with them. The only problem is that it is Entrelac knitting so I hope it won't be too confusing lol
HeathersHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Why didn't you say it was entrelac? You can get away with using a much longer needle for an entrelac hat, after the band the stitches aren't consecutive on the needle, but have spaces between the triangles and blocks. Also in using 2 circs they don't have to be the same size and I think it would be more confusing than helpful anyway using 2 for entrelac in the round.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Rie (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
Hiya Hiya makes stainless circs as short as 9", but I cringe at how short the tips would be. Having big man-paws I even find the tips on 16" circs a bit clumsy. (Of course that has nothing to do with my coordination you understand...)
Try out the Crystal Palace circulars at Great Yarns. I think the ladies there might have one or two floating around that you could sample. Crystal Palace needles spin independently of the cord just like KA does. This helps *alot*. The only problem with Crystal Palace is the price point. KA is about the same price as Knitpicks, but with much better craftsmanship (not knocking Knitpicks - KA is Japanese made). The asymmetric tips on the 9" circulars also make a big difference, but it's still a short needle. I wish they made asymmetric 16" needles for us large-handed people.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Rie View Post
Try out the Crystal Palace circulars at Great Yarns. I think the ladies there might have one or two floating around that you could sample. Crystal Palace needles spin independently of the cord just like KA does. This helps *alot*. The only problem with Crystal Palace is the price point. KA is about the same price as Knitpicks, but with much better craftsmanship (not knocking Knitpicks - KA is Japanese made). The asymmetric tips on the 9" circulars also make a big difference, but it's still a short needle. I wish they made asymmetric 16" needles for us large-handed people.
Great Yarns? You live in Raleigh?

I haven't used Crystal Palace needles much. All I have of theirs is a set of DPNs, and I rarely use DPNs.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Great Yarns? You live in Raleigh?

I haven't used Crystal Palace needles much. All I have of theirs is a set of DPNs, and I rarely use DPNs.
Yes, I'm a Raleigh girl. Great Yarns is the only LYS I've ever really shopped in. It was a lady there who introduced me to Crystal Palace needles.
If you get to chance to try the circulars, you should. I can't explain properly the spinning needle, but it's a really helpful feature.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Rie View Post
Yes, I'm a Raleigh girl. Great Yarns is the only LYS I've ever really shopped in. It was a lady there who introduced me to Crystal Palace needles.
If you get to chance to try the circulars, you should. I can't explain properly the spinning needle, but it's a really helpful feature.
Oh wow, small world eh? I only live about a mile and a half from Great Yarns. Wonder if we've ever bumped into each other there and didn't know it. Wendy and I were just there last weekend... Saturday? No, Sunday... What day did it snow? Wendy works out of that store and Yarns, Etc. in Chapel Hill (owned by the same person) so I know most of the staff at least by sight, if not by name. If you're ever in Chapel Hill, you oughta check out Mary's other store on Elliot Rd. It's bigger and has a slightly bigger selection, including some "locally grown" yarns from Three Waters Farm. And if you get a chance to get out to Chatham County, check out Belleau Wood Alpaca Farm. They sell direct, Three Waters does too, but only at the Carrboro Farmer's Market on weekends.

I know exactly what you mean about the free-wheeling needle tips, and I'm kind of ambivalent about them. In some ways it's nice (especially in Magic Loop) and in other ways... meh. It's not something I'd call a deal breaker or maker for me. YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
Rie (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh wow, small world eh? I only live about a mile and a half from Great Yarns. Wonder if we've ever bumped into each other there and didn't know it. Wendy and I were just there last weekend... Saturday? No, Sunday... What day did it snow? Wendy works out of that store and Yarns, Etc. in Chapel Hill (owned by the same person) so I know most of the staff at least by sight, if not by name. If you're ever in Chapel Hill, you oughta check out Mary's other store on Elliot Rd. It's bigger and has a slightly bigger selection, including some "locally grown" yarns from Three Waters Farm. And if you get a chance to get out to Chatham County, check out Belleau Wood Alpaca Farm. They sell direct, Three Waters does too, but only at the Carrboro Farmer's Market on weekends.
Yeah, I've been meaning to get out to the Chapel Hill store for a while now. Thanks for the tip about Three Waters and Belleau Wood! I had no idea that we had local yarn producers in the piedmont. I hope they do tours of the alpaca farm. I would to pet an alpaca!!