Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,806 Times in 7,165 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Way to go, Jan!

Last time my BP was checked it was up to 117/70. I'm typing that again so you know it's not a typo: 117/70. It was up that day.
Good for you! I've been on two blood pressure meds for several years and my BP was averaging 135/80 and sometimes higher. I went to doc on January and it was 110/75! The biggest change was my diet. I'd add the weight loss, but I lost weight before on WW and that didn't affect BP at the time. This WOE is for life.

Well, like I said we all have to choose what works for us. I had to have an angiogram a few years ago for a heart issue and my cardio said my arteries were "pristine" and I'll note my LDL was a bit high at that point, too. This probably means my LDL was mostly Pattern A which is the large fluffy type.

I'm NOT saying other ways of eating including vegetarianism is bad. Vegetables are great for you and I eat them, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,264 Times in 2,756 Posts
I am certain of one thing and one thing only in this regard. If we eat the food, breathe the air, and drink the water, we will die. I've mainly quit listening to the experts. According to them I should have been dead many years ago but actually have very few health problems. There is no one thing that is good for every single person, we're all different and what works for one doesn't for another. I don't see doctors because they will not listen when I tell them I have odd side effects from prescription drugs and if they do listen then the only solution they've offered is another drug to counteract the side effects. A doctor would prescribe drugs for arthritis; I cut out dairy products and take turmeric and my joints are mostly close to pain free most of the time. To each her/his own, may we all be as healthy as possible!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (03-11-2013), justplaincharlotte (03-11-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I've been blessed with my grandparents Dutch genes and may visit the Dr. once a year, other than for my yearly physical. Am I overweight, yep, do I exercise, not more than I can help it. Should I change, yep to that as well. I'm on 2 meds, one for cholesterol(genetic reasons) and one to help with mild osteo. Both of my Dutch grand parents lived well into their 90's and my German grandmother on my mom's side also into her 90's. My dad is 84 and going strong!!
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

We use coconut oil a lot in this house.

My son has severe atopic dematitise (basically eczema so bad, its not even eczema anymore - caused by a dairy allergy). I have thousands of dollars worth of creams in my "doesn't work" or "he's allergic to it" pile... including Rx creams and steroids. what works for him? coconut oil!

The best way we have found to get it into his skin is to put it in the bath water and let him play for a good 30 minutes. Def need a mat or non slip stickers on the bottom of your tub because it does get slippery! His skin actually looks somewhat normal now!

We also cook with it - a little goes a long way. I don't use much oil to cook, but if I do need oil for something I will put about 1/8 - 1/4 of a teaspoon into the pan and its enough to cook with for most things we cook.

So yes, my family ingests it. We are also dairy free as I have 2 children allergic to dairy. I would much rather them consume coconut oil than processed vegan margarines (ie chemicals), canola oil (which is quite often GMO), corn oil (again, GMO) or other oils. We do occasionally use olive oil - I prefer olive oil for salad dressings for example, because of the taste.

I also use it in my hair, and my clients hair (I am a licensed hairstylist). A tiny little amount works wonders!

I would like to add something to the saturated fat debate - there are different kinds of saturated fats. saturated fats from plant sources are easier to break down than saturated fats from animals. your body does need fats to run efficiently, and if you are living an otherwise relatively healthy lifestyle (rich is whole food, especially if they are predominately plant based) then consuming a bit of coconut oil can be beneficial. if you lead a lifestyle that is already high is fats, coconut oil is not going to be beneficial if consumed.

no one can say that it is beneficial or harmful just by saying someone consumes coconut oil. if you can see the rest of the diet and lifestyle, then maybe a claim as to whether it is beneficial or harmful can be established. but there is no right or wrong answer.
Jan in CA (03-16-2013), Paulaque (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #15
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MoniDew View Post
YUP! I'm a fan, but... and please understand this is coming from a loving place... Please use your coconut oil externally - face, oil pulling and then spit it out, but don't ingest it if you have high cholesterol!! Coconut oil is 100% pure saturated fat!! Skip all oils, all of them, as well as animal foods and processed foods, stick to 100% whole plant based diet, and that cholesterol level will fall! see Heart Attack Proof by Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn. He details all of this in his book and videos (YouTube him!)
Got to disagree, Virgin coconut oil is not a saturated fat, it is monounsaturated. Unlike a lot of triglycerides we ingest, which are "long chain triglycerides," coconut oil is a "medium chain" triglyceride. It is very easily digested, in fact, it is used in the hospital to tube feed seriously ill patients, also used in baby formulas.
Coconut oil got lumped in with bad saturated fats in the 1980s by the crafty soybean industry. They figured that if they could get everybody afraid of saturated fats, they could sell more vegetable oil. You SHOULD be afraid of saturated fats, but coconut oil isn't one of them! Sadly, to this day, coconut oil is still believed by many to be a 'bad fat,' when it's actually super healthy for anybody. Good for weight loss, Crohn's disease, myriad digestive problems, as well as skin and hair, it has antimicrobial effects. It is super easy to digest, in fact pancreatic enzymes aren't even needed to break it down, so it doesn't get absorbed through the intestines and into the blood stream directly. Instead it goes through portal vein to the liver where it supplies glycogen for energy.
We use it for baking, because you can easily substitute it for butter.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
fatoldladyinpjs (04-26-2013), Jan in CA (03-17-2013), Paulaque (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

I use coconut oil for many things, a body moisturizer, a deep conditioning treatment for my hair once a week, I take 2 tbs a day for fibromyalgia and joint pain relief, I use it on my tattoos to keep them from drying out and since it is naturally antiseptic it is perfect! I am always looking for new ways to use it!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Yes! It really is amazing stuff, isn't it? The best cooking oil bar none! It peeves me that the agricultural/industrial food complex manipulates the public about what to eat. They don't care about health, just making profit. Luckily folks are becoming more aware about reading labels and figuring out what is OK (like coconut oil) and what isn't (like HFCS).
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Paulaque View Post
I use coconut oil for many things, a body moisturizer, a deep conditioning treatment for my hair once a week, I take 2 tbs a day for fibromyalgia and joint pain relief, I use it on my tattoos to keep them from drying out and since it is naturally antiseptic it is perfect! I am always looking for new ways to use it!
do you have any links to its beneficial qualities when talking about fibromyalgia? my neighbor suffers horribly, and i would love to be able to send her some links!

if not, i will search for some
Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

...and the last time I had my cholesterol checked (I have been using coconut oil daily for 3 years) my doctor said for a woman as BIG as I am, my good cholesterol was amazing and my bad cholesterol was insignificant, next time I go to the doctor I will get the actual numbers, just never needed them before now.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,264 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulaque View Post
Gotta know, how do you take it? Do you put it in something or just gag it down from a spoon? If it's good for joints, I have to try it. I read on one web site that it helps with thyroid function and I've never tested higher than just barely w/i the normal range on the low end. I'm willing to give it a try. Where do you get yours? I think Jan says where she got hers from, I'll have to read again to see.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote