Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Okay, thanks! I don't like the coconut taste for most things so I get expeller pressed. I'll take a look though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #32
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

We just got a big container at Costco, too. Price can't be beat. The other times I've gotten it at the healthfood store, or off a website 'Vitacost.com.' The one from Vitacost is the Nutiva brand.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

This is the one I usually get.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jarrow Formula expeller pressed, no chemicals used. Has a neutral taste which I prefer for coffee, etc.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
offgridgirl (03-23-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Okay, thanks! I don't like the coconut taste for most things so I get expeller pressed. I'll take a look though.
the one from costco smells like coconut when heated, but i use it to cook eggs and i never notice a coconut taste to my eggs
Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
GFCF Peanut Butter Cookies
...made with coconut oil. Delicious! BTW GFCF = gluten free, casein free and some kids with Autism spectrum diagnoses do better on a GFCF diet. My GS is one of them. At DDs house the other day she was making some cookies for her little guy to take to school and I got to try one. Maybe the best peanut butter cookie I ever had. Anyhow...she gave me a container of CO with just a little left in it to try out. I've had some about 3 days in a row I guess. Coincidence I'm sure, but I've slept better the last 2 nights. Surely it's too soon to see a difference. As I forgot to use it in my coffee I made cocoa and stirred it in yesterday and I forgot again today so I had to make cocoa again. This could become a habit. The stuff I have is the kind with no flavor. I'll have DD get me some from Costco, she goes there and I don't.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #36
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Oh yum! PB cookies are one of my favorites!

If you like the flavored one (EVCO- extra virgin co) that's good. I just didn't like coconutty eggs or coffee.

I use it in hot chocolate sometimes, too. My favorite is to pour a little of the Silk vanilla coconut milk and a packet of diet hot chocolate in a measuring cup and froth to blend. Then add more co milk and heat. Yummy and rich!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #37
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

If we're sharing recipes... I just put some sugar, cocoa, and a bit of salt in a cup, mix it with water to fill the mug about 1/3, microwave about 20 seconds, add light soy milk (that's what I"m currently using) to fill the mug and finish heating about 1 1/2 minutes. Too easy, too tasty. I like the light soy a lot better than the regular. I really should remember to use the CO in coffee and skip the hot cocoa most days. Having the oil float on top hasn't really bothered me but I will try what'd you call it? emulsifying? it. Thanks for starting this thread.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #38
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yes, a frother emulsifies it. If the oil doesn't bother you it's no big deal. One of my DD gave me a frother. I'll have to try the cocoa powder again. I usually use Splenda though.

I agree the light soy milk is better and I always bought Silk vanilla. I only started getting the coconut milk when I decided to add it to my diet. For drinking plain I prefer the vanilla soy milk though.

Forgot to mention...I started sleeping better as well and wasn't sure if it was CO related or just weird coincidence. Interesting!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #39
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

Great thead.... I do have some coconut milk to try but will get some solid as well
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #40
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I've used the Silk coconut milk and it was fine, I did notice a slight coconut taste. What I buy will depend on price and currently it's been cheaper to get the Fred Meyer brand of organic. Last time they were out and substituted the Silk light soy for the FM brand and 2/$5 was OK by me. I don't drink it plain. I mostly put it in my coffee. I'm trying to eliminate more and more of the dairy products such as whey that show up in so many things. I've not yet decided I'll give up butter...hey, it's nothing but the fat anyhow! In about a week I think I'll cut back on the turmeric I take and see if my joints complain.

Last summer I used a can of coconut milk, the stuff that you pretty much have to scoop out of the can, some almond milk, chocolate and sugar and made some non-dairy "ice cream" that was a big hit. My SIL tasted it and got the ice cream attachment for the KitchenAid! The stuff was kind of like fudgesicles. It won't keep though. It disappears really fast.