Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #41
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
I didn't care for store brands of soy milk so I stuck to vanilla Silk. The Silk CO milk does taste coconutty in coffee which I also don't care for so I stick to the CO that doesn't taste and drink it black now. The flavored one is yummy with the hot chocolate though! I have a sweet tooth.

Coconut oil is a solid at temps below 74 then it starts to liquefy. Last fall it was liquid most of the time. I've just learned to melt it or just use it solid like on my face at night.

Mmm..ice cream! I haven't had ice cream for years. I'm pretty much dairy free due to lactose intolerance. There's the occasional treat like frozen yogurt though. And cheddar and greek yogurt are low lactose so I have those.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #42
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

This thread intrigues me b/c as I mentioned my youngest son is not a great sleeper and I've been told that coconut oil has some of the same components as breastmilk (he is breastfed) and therefore helps infants sleep sounder. My question is where do I find reliable information about whether or not it is safe to give an infant? I can find sites that say it is and others say not. I can ask when we see the pedi in April, but would love some sleep btwn now and then .....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #43
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,057 Times in 2,569 Posts
Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
This thread intrigues me b/c as I mentioned my youngest son is not a great sleeper and I've been told that coconut oil has some of the same components as breastmilk (he is breastfed) and therefore helps infants sleep sounder. My question is where do I find reliable information about whether or not it is safe to give an infant? I can find sites that say it is and others say not. I can ask when we see the pedi in April, but would love some sleep btwn now and then .....
How old is your son and how much does he sleep? Does he tend to sleep more in the daytime or nighttime? Is it possible something you are eating is not good for him?

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #44
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

IMO some babies and kids just aren't good sleepers. . I suspect it wouldn't be good for ingestion for be good unless mixed properly mixed. Oily substances can cause coughing and a bit of a choking feeling. Ask your doctor.

Also forgot to mention this... Some people go through what is sometimes called a crisis or healing crisis. For a week or so you can get a stuffy nose, coughing and feel like you're sick. You may be, but some people aren't. I had this when I started oil pulling, but I'd also had a cold so I never knew for sure. I'm fine and healthy now.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #45
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

We like Silk, also almond milk and we've even tried hemp milk (both daughter and I are lactose intolerant). The soy milk still bugs me a little, so we use a lot of almond.

We also get LandOLakes butter that is made with olive oil, which I figure is better for us, hopefully, but this morning I had cinnamon raisin toast with real butter. I went through a long time w/o using any butter at all, so I have some every now and then. Moderation!

We make hot cocoa with almond milk, Van Houten's cocoa powder, and a little honey. You have to whip it, because the cocoa doesn't have emulsifiers in it. I never thought of adding coconut oil to it, but now I will. It always gets topped with the guilty pleasure of whipped cream, though.

I think a lot of heart disease is caused by processed foods and sugar (alas, I LOVE sugar, but now that I'm in my 50s I limit it as much as I can).
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #46
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yep, I also don't eat many processed foods or sugar. Sugar raises triglycerides and processed foods well, every knows about those. They raise everything including weight.

I tried almond milk and wasn't thrilled with it. I'm fairly picky so that's no surprise.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #47
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

You know what? After just a few days I really do think I'm feeling better. I've made no significant changes other than adding the coconut oil daily and my knees bend better without complaining. I've been sleeping better. I feel more alert. Realistically the sleeping better would make me feel more alert and the brighter, longer days will help with sleeping and feeling more alert. However, I think the coconut oil is a contributing factor and I'm going to keep it up. Thanks, Jan, for starting this thread and everyone else who has contributed.

I thought the reference to oil pulling was a typo or autocorrect or something but I googled it. Interesting. Something else to consider trying.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #48
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

I pretty much do the same thing with yogurt, cheese, etc. For some reason, soy milk is similar to milk for me. I'm sure it's something other than lactose, but, still same outcome.

I can do a small amount of dairy, actually, but if I exceed a certain threshold, then, my intestines rebel.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #49
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Guess what? I did deep knee bends today and barely a complaint from my knees! I think CO is in my daily routine for good!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #50
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Wow, GG! That's awesome! How much are you taking?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~