Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
FO: Angry Birds Hat
So my grandson, who'll turn three next month, is crazy for the game Angry Birds. The story goes that he even fixed the internet connection on his mom's phone once when he was 2 so he could play. So what do you give a 3-year-old gaming superstar? (It's a rhetorical question.)



Unfortunately, the only kid sized mannequin available for a photo op had a head that wasn't exactly head-shaped. So the hat is stretched over a block-shaped head with Bart Simpson hair... which would be fine if it was a Bart Simpson hat (hmm...) But hopefully you get the idea. Perhaps when the hat is unveiled Young Sir will consent to be photographed in it and I'll get a better shot.



Anyway, the particulars are that the yarn is mostly Plymouth Encore Chunky, with a touch of Cascade 128 Superwash (left over from the Question Everything Hat) for the beak. Needles were my trusty Hiya Hiya US 10 circulars (except for the eyebrows, which I did flat on Clover US 10 DPNs). The pattern is... not so much. Funny story, that. There was, once upon a time, a pattern on Ravelry and I was hot to buy it because it was better than any of the others I'd found. But nowhere on the Ravelry page was there a link to be found or any other indication of how one might purchase this fine knitting pattern. So in the fullness of time (actually just a couple of days) I emailed the designer to inquire as to its availability. And regrettably, the makers of the Angry Birds video game took exception to this work and not for nothin' would they license it for sale. So what you see here is a reverse engineering effort done from the photos from Ravelry along with whatever other graphics I could find. Which means I can't tell you how I did it because (a) Big Brother at Big Video Game Company would probably send Green Pigs after me and (b) I honestly can't remember because I was winging it (pun intended). But in a general way...

For the most part, it's just your basic beanie until you get to the bottom where the white part starts. I'd never done intarsia in ribbing before... or actually at all except for one other time. Feathers on the head and the tail are done in Magic Loop sort of like you'd do the fingers of a glove. The beak is just a basic cone stuffed with polyfill and the eyes and eyebrows were done flat and sewn on with black yarn (so as to get the outline around the white). For sizes you can use the usual size charts for hats... I shot for 16" for this one and based the gauge on the finished dimension I was going for. (Yes, I know that's doing it backward, but if you don't have a pattern to begin with does it matter?)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
MerigoldinWA (03-10-2013), offgridgirl (03-18-2013)

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,351
Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 3,042 Times in 2,554 Posts
OMG that's great. You'll be a hero.
__________________
~ GG

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,157
Thanks: 1,656
Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
That's a fantastic hat!
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 404
Thanks: 118
Thanked 133 Times in 130 Posts
An amazing hat!! Thanks for the details.
aprilbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,884
Thanks: 236
Thanked 675 Times in 632 Posts
A true one-of-a-kind masterpiece for a huge little fan--and may the Angry Bird folks find something else besides THIS to go be angry about!

Bravo, Mojo, goodo jobo! (Sorry, it started and I couldn't make it quito! STOP it!)
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,351
Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 3,042 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
A true one-of-a-kind masterpiece for a huge little fan--and may the Angry Bird folks find something else besides THIS to go be angry about!

Bravo, Mojo, goodo jobo! (Sorry, it started and I couldn't make it quito! STOP it!)
Quote:
There was, once upon a time, a pattern on Ravelry and I was hot to buy it because it was better than any of the others I'd found. But nowhere on the Ravelry page was there a link to be found or any other indication of how one might purchase this fine knitting pattern. So in the fullness of time (actually just a couple of days) I emailed the designer to inquire as to its availability. And regrettably, the makers of the Angry Birds video game took exception to this work and not for nothin' would they license it for sale.

Rovio was brilliant to give away a game that became a craze and then cash in on the marketing that it created though I suspect there was a fair bit of luck involved as well. It seems to me that you can make Angry Birds items as much as you want as long as you don't sell them; you can give away patterns and the things you've made as long as no profit is involved. I guess if someone wanted to put together a kit and sell the yarn but included the pattern for free it might be allowed. Selling the pattern would be the big no no. Copyrighting an Angry Birds pattern wouldn't be possible either. At least there can't be a copyright infringement for you to deal with. Just never, ever sell an Angry Birds item. Could you charge for your time to make it? I'd seen that pattern and considered buying it but had figured out that selling the pattern was going to be a violation of something and didn't even try. I wonder if the Angry Birds folk will frequent craft sales and such to watch for someone to pounce on.
__________________
~ GG

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
nonny2t
Instepping Out
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,766
Thanks: 421
Thanked 845 Times in 806 Posts
Superb!!! He is going to love it!
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Rovio was brilliant to give away a game that became a craze and then cash in on the marketing that it created though I suspect there was a fair bit of luck involved as well. It seems to me that you can make Angry Birds items as much as you want as long as you don't sell them; you can give away patterns and the things you've made as long as no profit is involved. I guess if someone wanted to put together a kit and sell the yarn but included the pattern for free it might be allowed. Selling the pattern would be the big no no. Copyrighting an Angry Birds pattern wouldn't be possible either. At least there can't be a copyright infringement for you to deal with. Just never, ever sell an Angry Birds item. Could you charge for your time to make it? I'd seen that pattern and considered buying it but had figured out that selling the pattern was going to be a violation of something and didn't even try. I wonder if the Angry Birds folk will frequent craft sales and such to watch for someone to pounce on.
I suspect you're right about the luck involved. I mean I've never played the game but even I'd heard of it. And if you consider the number of games released every year both pay-to-play and free that never make it, it's probably only one in a hundred that get to this level.

I've seen other patterns around that WERE available, though (a) they were free and (b) I didn't really like them. There are also licensed ones available on Amazon, but I assume there was a licensing fee involved. But given that I only cared about making one hat for one kid, I figured my best bet was to "come up with something". And I was pretty sure that I could do that, and if I couldn't Wendy definitely could. And since the thing's just not that complicated anyway, I didn't figure I had anything to lose by trying. The hard part will be waiting a month to give it to him. (By which time it will probably be too warm for it here in NC.)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
salmonmac
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,238
Thanks: 610
Thanked 3,329 Times in 3,014 Posts
Oh, very well done! This really is another triumph to add to the horse and those fabulous chickens. (Maybe don't let the angry bird see the chickens.)
__________________
Knitting Help Videos Here!-
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
newamy
Working the Gusset
 
newamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,079
Thanks: 464
Thanked 257 Times in 222 Posts
That is agreat hat!
__________________
May Peace Prevail on Earth.



I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crazy Birds Vertigo1414 The Lounge 5 07-20-2009 04:50 PM
Birds of a Feather YouCantBuyThisMovement Pattern Central 1 05-12-2008 05:12 PM
We had to stop feeding the birds... Jan in CA The Lounge 15 09-28-2007 12:35 AM
the birds and the leaves bellium Pattern Central 2 05-13-2007 04:28 PM
If you like the birds... KellyK General Knitting 17 04-12-2006 11:34 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.