Old 02-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
DonnaS2332
Casting On

knitting a mitten
Help... Im Stuck
Pattern says Continue to increase 1 st in first and in last thumb stitch every 4th row having 2 stitches between increases after each increae row 5 times.

does this mean increase in the knit row, purl a row, knit a row without increase and purl a row then do another increase row and repeat this 5 times?? I tried it once already and my mitten is huge and I havent gotten to the thumb yet!!!
DonnaS2332 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, that's what it means - inc, work 3 rows then inc in the next one which is the 4th. You're only supposed to be increasing 2 sts each time, just on the thumb stitches. This is the lower part of the thumb where it sticks out from the hand; you'll probably put these sts on a holder and finish the hand part only, then go back and do the top part of the thumb. When you say it's huge, do you mean length or around? Compare your gauge to the pattern gauge, it might be larger which will make the mitten larger.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

It will help if you place markers where you are supposed to increase. This will make it easy to see. And yes, it will seem to be large. But once you work through the pattern and try it on, you'll see that it's just fine. If you look at your hand, the outside edge will be almost straight up and down. Your hand on the thumb side gradually gets larger and larger. This is the reason for all the increases. It'll work out. You'll see.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
does this mean increase in the knit row, purl a row, knit a row without increase and purl a row then do another increase row and repeat this 5 times?? I tried it once already and my mitten is huge and I havent gotten to the thumb yet!!!

Are these knitted flat and then seamed? If so, they might seem to be larger than they really are anyhow.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote