Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Xsyrenn
Casting On

On a quest to find the mystery yarn!
Hello all!

This is my final desperate attempt to figure out what brand this yarn is!

My mom bought me the book Visual Quick Tips Knitting for Christmas and it has been my go to guide for all of my knitting questions. However, there is a particular kind of yarn used in this book and I am at my wits end with my quest to try and figure out what brand it is!

For those of you that have the book, it is the light red yarn used to demonstrate how to cast on on pages 14-17. It is like no yarn I have ever seen before! It isn't fuzzy and looks like a solid, dense strand. You can't see any kind of fiber twisted into it. From looking at the pictures of different blends of yarn, I have reason to believe that it is an acrylic wool blend, but I could be wrong.

I have looked through all 4 of the websites she has listed in the book as to where all of her yarn was provided, but I have had absolutely no luck.

If anyone can help me at all I would be forever in your debt!

Lindsey
Xsyrenn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
It could be all acrylic, wool, or numerous other fibers. Being a solid, smooth yarn doesn't really give clues.

Any reason you need to know? There are lots of great yarns of many fibers that are in red.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Xsyrenn
Casting On

I'm just curious. I am an absolute beginner when it comes to knitting and I am just entranced by this yarn.

The author of the book uses many other colors in the same kind of yarn that are all beautiful. Especially the powder blue and light green! It's not just the red that I'm looking for, just the type of yarn in general.

All of the swatches that she knitted in the book with this kind of yarn makes a stitch that is very unique because of how dense it is, and I was hoping to find it and use it myself!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

The density probably has to with weight of the yarn. Usually we suggest worsted weight, smooth, solid color for beginners. Generally the less expensive ones are used in learning.

See if there is any reference to the type or a name in the beginning or end of the book. Also check the original publishing date. If its older it's likely it's a now discontinued yarn.

The best thing you can do is go to a yarn store or a craft store like Joann, Michaels, Hobby Lobby...and just look at the yarns.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Xsyrenn
Casting On

It's funny you say that, I actually work at Michael's! I spend lots of time in the yarn section when I'm on my break! All of the yarn that I've used so far has been the red heart super saver acrylic. It's great yarn for beginners. The closest thing we have the yarn I'm looking for is roving wool but it just doesn't have the same look as the yarn pictured in the book.

I will flip through the book and see if I can't find anymore information on the types of yarns she used and see if I have any luck with that.

I kind of knew that this was going to be a fruitless quest but it was worth a shot!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You might see if she's online somewhere to contact her, Ravelry is a great place to track down books and authors, or through the publisher's website.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Xsyrenn
Casting On

I was also looking through the book to see if she has a website or somewhere that I can contact her, but I haven't found anything like that either. Any time I try and Google her all it gives me are links to buy the book.

But I'll keep trying! I've been thinking of contacting her the entire time but I figured I'd try a community before I bothered her.

My quest continues!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,982 Posts
I think that like most authors and knitters, she'd be delighted to be contacted. The only way I could find is to do that however is through her publisher.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

It won't be roving. That would be really hard for beginners to use.

Is his the yarn?
http://media.wiley.com/product_ancil...ing_Bobble.mov

Looks like worsted weight and maybe US 8 needles. It's really hard to tell the fiber, but maybe a cotton blend?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
The closest thing we have the yarn I'm looking for is roving wool but it just doesn't have the same look as the yarn
pictured in the book.
Roving is pretty thick, so maybe it was a single ply which is barely twisted usually.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote