Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
FairyPrincess91
Casting On

Please help. Struggling with a pattern.
Hi all I'd be really grateful if anybody can help me with a bit of difficulty I'm having? Probably something really easy but I'm a bit baffled by it.

So I have 24st at the beginning and the pattern is for a baby's cardigan and the basic pattern is:

Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl
Row 3: p1, k1 until the end of the row
Row 4: p1, k1b, until the last two sts which are p1, k1

That's the pattern the throughout but the issue I'm having is when it comes to shaping.
The pattern requires I work 25 rows. Decreasing a st at the beg or end (depending on the side) on every following fourth row (every knit row). My problem is that when I've decreased a st I don't know if I should be still following the pattern or adjusting it because I now have less stitches. I've tried it both ways and both seem to go a bit funny but I'm not sure if I'm doing something really daft?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
X
FairyPrincess91 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
Hi and welcome to Knitting Help!
You're right in adjusting the pattern for the row. You want to maintain the pattern that you've established and this will mean changing the instructions for the pattern stitch. The pattern has two rows of stockinette and two rows of seed stitch. If all your decreases are on the knit row, you'll be fine until you come to a row 3. Then you'll have to look 2 rows down the column of sts and follow the pattern on the last row 3. If the first stitch in that row starts with a purl, then start row 3 with a purl; if a knit, then start row 3 with a knit.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
FairyPrincess91
Casting On

Ah I see. Thanks so much for the help! I tried just mindlessly following the pattern anyway. Then tried doing the opposite. Knew it'd be something really simple so thank you!! :-)
FairyPrincess91 is offline   Reply With Quote