Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

absolute art! I cannot even think of anything more to say!
ArtLady1981 (03-12-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I wore the coat last Sunday for some volunteer non-profit work we participate in.It was cold and drizzly. It kept me so cozy! I was wearing that new garnet red Hallett's Ledge cardigan with it, black skirt, black boots, black gloves, scarf & hat. The three colors....black, grey, dark red....looked real good together. I was worried about grey looking good on me, but this worked really well!

I shoulda taken a photo, but by the time I got home, I was a wreck. Warm, colorful, but still wrecked. Not a photo friendly day.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #23
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

Sorry, I was asking about the cabled grey jacket. The garment stitch I used was added after the piece was together and I used a crochet hook and went into the body at the shoulder seam and picked up my stitches and crocheted like a change stitch,( loosely) , is the best I can explain it, but it totally stabilized the whole piece .

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/4...mentstitch.jpg

This is what it looks like

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #25
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7759/arancoatbyez.jpg

This EZ'S Aran Coat . I am not a EZ fan but this is on my list of must knit. I knitted her Tomten Jacket and it took me awhile to get it done because she doesn't have a normal written pattern to follow so I missed a couple of key points along the way and had to frog things back a few times

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #26
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Nanaof6 View Post
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7759/arancoatbyez.jpg

This EZ'S Aran Coat . I am not a EZ fan but this is on my list of must knit. I knitted her Tomten Jacket and it took me awhile to get it done because she doesn't have a normal written pattern to follow so I missed a couple of key points along the way and had to frog things back a few times
Thanks for both of those links, Nana! The EZ jacket looks very similar to my Nell jacket doesn't it!? But mine has no pockets, no hood. There was a belt called for...but belts are a waste of time for my jackets. A belt just hangs down the sides, and/or becomes lost somewhere.

The link that shows that special crocheted chain stitch to fortify the shoulder seams (and armhole seams?) is a great photo. How is it done again? After the should is mattress seamed, then you double back and work that crochet chain??

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,980 Posts
I like the idea of stabilizing the shoulder but I've never tried a crochet chain. I loved 3 needle bind off from the first time I tried it because it gives such a neat, sturdy seam and even looks good on the outside. I'll have to try the crochet chain too.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #28
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

I hope that I am not confusing some of you with the crocheted stitch. I'll do my best to explain what I did.

I knitted the EZ'S Tomten Jacket and my knitting instructor highly suggested using this idea because the piece was stretchering/growing . The photo shows this stitch from the inside of the sleeve and shoulder.

The making of the sleeves was done by picking up said amount of stitches from the right front panel and back panel (same on both sides) then using a wrap and turn st you knit to desired length.

When I had finished my DH'S Jacket he felt that it was getting longer and not feeling stable in the shoulders. I was shown how to go into the finished project with a good sturdy cotton yarn and pick up stitches along the body piece not the sleeve, by inserting my crochet hook in to each st on the outer edge from the INSIDE of the piece only(where sleeve meets body)starting at the front lower armpit area pick up my cotton yarn and pull it through the existing stitches that make the jacket and form a chain stitch , go into the next stitch and form a chain stitch, repeat up to shoulder up and over and down the back side and back to the back lower armpit area. You are adding the garment stabling stitches after the whole project has been completed in the shoulder area only. Chain stitches need to be some what loose, but not to loose.

I looked for a video online to show how to do this but there is not one . I really need to learn how to make one and post this because this stabilizing trick truly saved my DH'S jacket

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

Last edited by Nanaof6 : 03-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nanaof6 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-13-2013), salmonmac (03-16-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Nanaof6 View Post
I hope that I am not confusing some of you with the crocheted stitch. I'll do my best to explain what I did.

I knitted the EZ'S Tomten Jacket and my knitting instructor highly suggested using this idea because the piece was stretchering/growing . The photo shows this stitch from the inside of the sleeve and shoulder. The finished sleeve was done by picking up said amount of stitches from the right front panel and back panel (same on both sides) then using a wrap and turn st you knit to desired length. When I had finished my DH'S Jacket he felt that it was getting longer and not feeling stable in the shoulders. I was shown how to go into the finished project with a good sturdy cotton yarn and pick up stitches along the body piece not the sleeve by inserting my crochet hook in to each sl st on the outer edge starting at the front lower armpit area pick up my cotton yarn and pull it through the existing stitches that make the jacket and form a chain stitch , go into the next stitch and form a chain stitch, repeat up to shoulder up and over and down the back side and back to the back lower armpit area. You are adding the garment stabling stitches after the whole project has been completed in the shoulder area only.

I looked for a video online to show how to do this but there is not one . I really need to learn how to make one and post this because this stabilizing trick truly saved my DH'S jacket
This is what I envisioned I would do. Adding the stabilizing crochet chain after the fact. Thanks for contributing all of the helpful info, and links!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Nanaof6 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,002 Times in 2,515 Posts
That seems pretty clear to me. Thanks for telling us how to do it. One question, does this show much on the outside? Your picture shows you used yarn in a similar color and I'm sure that would help.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote