Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
I remembered a baby blanket worked in green. Wonder of wonders I recalled the name and found it! I thought you might like to take a look. It's here. Whatever color you choose, I hope we get to see both blankets.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
I used to make all my boy baby blankets in "baby" colors. But lately, I've switched over to using colors that an older boy might like, hoping that the blanket will get "loved" a lot longer.

It doesn't matter about the color -- if it is a blanket they loved as babies, they will still love it when they are older, even if they have "outgrown" the "baby colors". (Said by a mama whose three kids, ages 4 - 9, still have *their* security blankets and show no sign of giving them up anytime soon.)
sakura-panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Antares
Working the Gusset

The multi-colored blankets are nice, too. I've made several baby blankets out of these colors (Caron Simply Soft Brite).

The moms were thrilled with them and said their babies were really attracted to the bright colors; plus, it doesn't look baby-ish, so it has longevity as a favorite blanket.

For my multi-colored blankets, I've always used all the colors (regardless of whether someone thought it was a "girl color" or a "boy color" and regardless of whether it was for a boy or a girl).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
The multi-colored blankets are nice, too. I've made several baby blankets out of these colors (Caron Simply Soft Brite).

The moms were thrilled with them and said their babies were really attracted to the bright colors; plus, it doesn't look baby-ish, so it has longevity as a favorite blanket.

For my multi-colored blankets, I've always used all the colors (regardless of whether someone thought it was a "girl color" or a "boy color" and regardless of whether it was for a boy or a girl).

You rebel, you! I bet you'd even put your buttonholes on the left side simply because you don't have a maid to dress you. Good grief. What's the world coming to? I think pastels for babies, blue for boys and pink for girls, have seen their heydey and I for one won't mourn their demise. When I had babies I loved the brighter colors and with a baby born in 1976 there was a lot of red, white, and blue around.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
You rebel, you! I bet you'd even put your buttonholes on the left side simply because you don't have a maid to dress you. Good grief. What's the world coming to? I think pastels for babies, blue for boys and pink for girls, have seen their heydey and I for one won't mourn their demise. When I had babies I loved the brighter colors and with a baby born in 1976 there was a lot of red, white, and blue around.
Yes, I'm the weirdo who doesn't play by the "rules" very well. Go figure!

I like both the bright colors and the pastels, and I've made multi-colored blankets out of both. But red, white, and blue as baby colors sounds divine!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
I like to see babies in strong colors. They look adorable in anything but it's nice for a change from pink and pale blue. Did you know that pink for girls and blue for boys has only been the norm since around the 1940's? Before that the opposite assignment was recommended and before that, white was considered the appropriate color for babies. Time to mix things up again.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

Planetarium or jalapeno!
https://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Comf..._D5420171.html
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
I prefer Planetarium. Is the lavender also a Comfy yarn?
http://www.knitpicks.com/cfyarns/yar...cfm?ID=5420171
Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I did post earlier voting for green as a choice for the boy. I also wanted to throw out the idea of just plain white! My daughter, when given a choice for her first born requested a white blanket. So that's what she got. They use it all the time for snuggling in the living room reading books. I used a crocheted basket weave pattern that almost looks knitted. It came from a baby afghan book from Leisure Arts called Snuggle-Up. Pattern is called Basketweave. I chose it partially because it's one that the baby can't get their tiny little fingers stuck in any holes.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I like this shade of blue...it's not 'typical' baby blue.

And this shade of blue...

And this shade of blue...

This shade of green isn't 'typical' baby green.

This shade of green isn't baby-fied! I like it, too.

And this green, too!

Here's another gender neutral color of baby blanket! I like it!

And another warm color!

And what's wrong with milk chocolate? I like this, too!

That said...I still love icy pink for girls. Yeah, call me old fashioned. And I will always love white for any gender!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote