Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,763 Times in 2,326 Posts
My grandson learned to knit today!
He's planning to knit something for his mom's birthday. He doesn't know how to purl yet and I ended up doing the cast on for his mom's present, which will be a coaster to go under her coffee cup, so it'll be garter stitch.

He's 12 and has Asperger's. His mom got a call that he needed to be picked up from school. I'm closer and could get there faster so she called me and he ended up spending the afternoon. He needed to calm down and I just had him sit in front of me and showed him how and he was doing knit stitches very quickly. I was amazed. He took home 2 sets of acrylic needles from my interchangeable sampler sets and 2 cables, a key and a piece of grippy shelf liner, some straight sz. 10 plastic straight needles that he was using, the yarn he was learning with and yarn for the coaster. He likes it. I think it will be a calming thing for him to do, he got into the rhythm of it so quickly. I showed him Sheldon's post with the cardi-gan photo to show him that men do knit. Thanks, Sheldon! I know other men post photos but Sheldon's was the one I remembered how to find.

If he keeps knitting I think it will help him a lot and he'll have the satisfaction of having made something.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Great news, GG! Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps you can get his permission to post a pic of a finished object when the time comes. You know we'll lavish praise on whatever he does, and that may help boost his confidence some.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

The hardest part was telling him that he probably won't want to tell the kids at school that he's knitting. They'd tease him and teasing was part of the problem today. Sheldon's photo was a godsend! I really think knitting can be a useful tool for him, it will work with his OCD tendencies w/o being something that is detrimental. Thanks for the caring comment.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

Next time you get the chance, you should show him the pictures of Mojo's chickens. That will probably amuse him--and possibly inspire him, too.

So glad your attempt to teach him knitting worked out like it did. Of course, it could have gone either way, and having it go positively is just super!! Who wouldn't like getting to teach a very special someone a very special craft?!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Chickens by mojo! Great idea. I didn't recall them. I think he'll like them. Thanks!

I wasn't really sure how he felt about having knitting more or less imposed on him today, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I then heard him on the phone with his mom when he told her he learned to knit and the pride in his voice was obvious. He came back to work on it some more and didn't mind that the needles I gave him were pink. He made sure he took his knitting bag with him. All I had for him to use was a plastic bag from the store but his needles and things went into an old check box I'd saved. I know it was an old box, I've not had new checks in over 4 yrs!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
That's wonderful, GG! I hope he keeps it up!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
Knitting is wonderfully calming and therapeutic and it can be a great outlet for artistry and imagination. I hope your grandson continues to enjoy learning and knitting. It can be so absorbing and such a confidence booster. Good thinking, GG!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Sounds like both of you enjoyed a grandma and grandson moment. Hope he keeps it up. Would love to see whatever he makes for his mom.
I hope to someday teach my grandson to knit as well. He's only 21/2 so it will be a few years before he'll be ready. My daughter is very crafty/creative so I know she'll encourage whatever he wants to do craft wise as he gets older. My son in law isn't the kind of guy to stand in the way either, so here's hoping he'll want to learn.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABC's Mom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I hope your GS wants to learn to knit, I think it's a good thing for people to know how to do. It can be very therapeutic. I remember hearing about football players doing needlepoint or something like that. We're lucky that our SILs don't object, some dads would. So far I've heard nothing about my SIL not liking the idea, I don't think it's likely to be an issue. Anything the little guy likes to do and gets him away from electronic screens is generally encouraged. My DD thinks it's great. We both think that once he's gotten good at it, he'll find it relaxing...unless he gets so hung up on perfection right away that he quits. I really hope that won't be the case. And, yes, it was a good experience for both of us. I'm so glad I finally learned to knit English, that's the way he chose to do it and I can't imagine teaching him to hold the yarn in his left hand. He might learn both ways, who knows?

Old 03-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

Hi Grumpy - what wonderful news. Let's hope he becomes as great a knitter as you or Kaffe Fassett.
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidSydney63 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-16-2013)