Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
barbarajo
Casting On

Youtube has lots of videos and just finding someone who will go slow enough to follow should work until he sees you again. I play those things over & over until I see what they mean.
By the way someone mentioned football players who knit...Rosie Greer was one of them!
barbarajo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barbarajo For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-19-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #22
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
I haven't seen the post in Sheldon's thread. All the lefties I personally know have learned to knit and crochet just the same as right handers do. Some that I've read about actually hold the hook or working needle in the left hand but most seem to be able to learn to use their right hand.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Yes, I only know one left hander who actually knits left handed. She said it was a pain since most patterns are written by right handers and she had to adjust some things.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #24
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
He's planning to knit something for his mom's birthday. He doesn't know how to purl yet and I ended up doing the cast on for his mom's present, which will be a coaster to go under her coffee cup, so it'll be garter stitch.

He's 12 and has Asperger's. His mom got a call that he needed to be picked up from school. I'm closer and could get there faster so she called me and he ended up spending the afternoon. He needed to calm down and I just had him sit in front of me and showed him how and he was doing knit stitches very quickly. I was amazed. He took home 2 sets of acrylic needles from my interchangeable sampler sets and 2 cables, a key and a piece of grippy shelf liner, some straight sz. 10 plastic straight needles that he was using, the yarn he was learning with and yarn for the coaster. He likes it. I think it will be a calming thing for him to do, he got into the rhythm of it so quickly. I showed him Sheldon's post with the cardi-gan photo to show him that men do knit. Thanks, Sheldon! I know other men post photos but Sheldon's was the one I remembered how to find.

If he keeps knitting I think it will help him a lot and he'll have the satisfaction of having made something.
I love that you taught your GS to knit. I taught mine too but I'm not sure if he is still knitting ,at least I gave him the basics so if he want to knit he knows how.

I know a Sheldon from a Cancer group I was in, I wonder if it's the same Sheldon? How can I find out? Not a name you hear everyday.

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nanaof6 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #25
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Nanaof6 View Post
I love that you taught your GS to knit. I taught mine too but I'm not sure if he is still knitting ,at least I gave him the basics so if he want to knit he knows how.

I know a Sheldon from a Cancer group I was in, I wonder if it's the same Sheldon? How can I find out? Not a name you hear everyday.

It's just like anything else. We can teach them but whether they use it or not is up to them. I've noticed here that people who hadn't knit in years have rediscovered knitting and its benefits.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #26
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Wonderful family story! It warms my heart!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

My grandmother taught me to crochet. I crocheted for years before learning to knit. I am a leftie and have my working yarn in my right hand. That's a pain when learning certain stitches in crochet. I finally learned to knit from my mother in law and did it for awhile then went back to crochet. Just picked the knitting needles back up about a year and a half ago. Love it more each day. Would rather knit now than crochet.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Would rather knit now than crochet.
I crocheted for years before learning to knit. Now I'm a knitter who can also crochet. LOL

Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #29
Brooks66
Casting On

wow.that's great to hear
Brooks66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brooks66 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #30
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

My son has Aspergers. He is only 8 so I haven't taught him to knit yet but I have taught him hook rug. He enjoys it. I think in the next couple of years I will teach him how to knit. I have no daughters only 3 sons so I have to teach somebody lol
HeathersHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote