Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

To all knitters
Dear knitters,

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the Lounge but I want to share my story with as many knitters as possible.

While I've been away a lot from this forum I've been busy knitting, learning and practicing a new skill - continental knitting.

I am writing this to encourage all the English knitters out there who want to master continental - it's possible! I've done it! It may take some time and practice but most of all persistence. Don't give up and have plenty of hand rests between. Do little and often.

I still use my right hand for knitting 2 together, binding off, eyelets, increasing, etc. but for straight knit or purl rows I can change hands whenever I like.

Best advantage: seed stitch and ribbing
I now actually enjoy ribbing or seeding!

However, I must point out that none of this could have been achieved if it wasn't for Amy, the videos and all you supporting knitters. Thank you.

Tamar Dohel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
Good for you! That's great to learn continental and to be able to do english too. I think that you'll find it very useful when you do colorwork as well.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

yay!

I can't purl continental - i am a "combination" knitter... so while i purl with my left hand, i twist the stitches... i just can't figure out how to do it the proper way and do it as fast as I can!

my knitting speed doubled when i switched from english style to my combination style
Old 03-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Good for you. I also recently taught myself continental, but I can only do it with the Norwegian purl. I've managed to do a regular continental purl with a p2tog, though.

Also, as a note into my first venture in colorwork using both English and Continental I noticed that my English stitches were much tighter than my continental stitches, and I'm not sure what to do about it other than to practice and get the English looser. It is something to watch out for.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I learned both with the Noro striped scarf because its k1p1. It does make ribbing easier. I still use English primarily, but I use two hands for color work (fair isle) which makes that way faster and easier, too.

Good for you for learning another method.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,598 Posts
Tamar!

I'm a Continental knitter who has learned English. My English stitches are looser than my normal Continental ones and that makes for less than satisfactory results with color work. I'll keep practicing and learn to hold the yarn English style so that I get better tension. There's a project I have my heart set on doing in Fair Isle. It was almost impossible for me to learn to purl English and haven't yet managed the Norwegian style.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

I am also a continental knitter and have learned other techniques. I wear gloves which help. There are called handeze. I buy them smaller so that they are tight. They loosen as you go. I have learned to be a two hand-knitter but find it harder to do ribbing. I guess it's just what you get used to.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Marina1109
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm a Continental knitter.
I have tried English style but it seems so hard, and it seems to require more steps than Continental.
Last time I tried it (several weeks ago) it slowed me down so much,
and it seems like my hands had to work harder.
I gave up..... but I do occasionally try.
Maybe one of these days I'll have to patients to stick with it.

Don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here

Every person can save up to 8 lives and help/enhance the lives of many more.
To sign up to become an organ donor:
http://donatelife.net/
Marina1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,598 Posts
Marina, that's how I was! My motivation was wanting to be a"2-fisted knitter". I want to do the 2-hand color work. I've still got a lot of practicing to do before I can take on my special project. I know what you mean about more steps. Wrapping the yarn English just seems...I don't know, an unnecessary motion or something. I've blamed it on crocheting before knitting. Thank goodness we can each knit the way we feel most comfortable.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I am an English style knitter. I'd like to learn the continental style, but am leary of it messing with the tension when I go back to English.
I naturally picked up the English as being a lefty and learning to crochet before learning to knit, holding my working yarn in my right hand comes more natural to me. I know it's much faster to knit the other way but I don't want to take the time away from all the things I want to make to learn the Continental style.
Maybe some day!!
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote