Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
oliviap5
Ribbing the Cuff

Do I need to get the right needles?
Before starting this pattern I bought (what I thought) were the correct materials. The pattern calls for size 8 circular needles. However, I ordered regular size 8 needles instead of circular. Do I need to buy circular needles for this pattern? Or can I get away with using the needles I have?

Here is the pattern:

http://sweetfiberdesigns.com/2011/01...hat-for-jason/

Thank you!
oliviap5 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can't knit a hat in the round on straight needles. You can convert the pattern to flat knitting though and seam it up. Circulars are very versatile though, you can knit flat on them and they hold many many more stitches than straight ones.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
oliviap5 (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

If you want to follow the pattern EXACTLY, then you'll need to buy size 8 AND size 10 circular needles (and probably double pointed ones too). But, like suzeeq says, you can adapt the pattern for flat knitting if you want to.

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
oliviap5 (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
oliviap5
Ribbing the Cuff

How would I go about adapting the pattern?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
oliviap5
Ribbing the Cuff

And I suppose my other question would be, how many double pointed needles do I need? I have actually never used double pointed needles before, and they look somewhat scary!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Double points come in sets of 4 or 5, one is left empty to knit the new sts onto, the rest just hold the needles. You're still just knitting with 2 needles at a time and the others are stitch holders. Look at the dpn video, though you may have too many stitches to fit onto a set, and would have to do a short circular (until the decreases, then you need dpns or a long circ or 2 of them) or use a longer circular and magic loop. There's videos for 2 circs and magic loop on the same page as the dpns.

If you knit it flat, you'd have to reverse the sts on the even rows, though it looks like a simple rib pattern, so that's not as difficult.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Olivia - Don't be scared off by DPNs, I only started to use them a year ago after telling myself they were too complicated for me, a relatively new knitter. Well they're not! You only knit with two needles at a time, like regular needles (some stitches on one needle and an empty needle you're knitting with), the others just become stitch holders really.

Here's a hat on dpns I started earlier this year and hope to finish tonight (only 5 rows to go!)

You can see the hat tube on the needles (four of them), and the spare needle for knitting. Mine was 128 stitches divided between the 4 dpns.

Have a go, if (when) you master them you can make gloves, wristwarmers, hats and of course, socks too!!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butlersabroad For This Useful Post:
oliviap5 (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
oliviap5
Ribbing the Cuff

I watched the video for the magic loop and two circulars. I got a little lost halfway through the magic loop video. :/ I think I will just go with using the DPNs. I got a little confused, is that what you think would be my best bet with this pattern?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,503 Times in 3,178 Posts
If you're going with the dpns, then why not do as the pattern suggests and start with the 16" circular needle and then when you get to the decreases at the top of the hat, switch to dpns? It's easier to learn how to work with dpns if you have a project already started on a circular needle.
Magic loop or single loop are worth learning too for projects like this. Sometime when you're looking for something new, try the videos with needles in hand and it may be easieer to get.
Jan in CA (03-20-2013), suzeeq (03-20-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by oliviap5 View Post
I watched the video for the magic loop and two circulars. I got a little lost halfway through the magic loop video :/ I think I will just go with using the DPNs. I got a little confused, is that what you think would be my best bet with this pattern?
Been there, done that.

If I don't grasp a technique by watching one video...I press on and watch other knitter's video versions.

Almost all the time, Amy's videos "click" with me. But I'm a really slow learner with tricky new techniques like magic loop, two circs, etc.

However, I stumbled upon a video that really "clicked" with me, and her video lesson impressed certain phrases and tips that I've never forgotten. The video is about 6 minutes in length...but her lesson is unforgettable. I think you should watch it. I'm glad I did! Her method of knitting in-the-round (whether for a few stitches or ALL the stitches for a sleeve or hat or whatever) is the Two Circulars method. It's all I ever use.

For this method you do need two circulars of the same size. I use two different colors...like nickel plated for one pair, and wood for the other pair. (This helps brain-dead me automatically discern where the round begins and ends. I begin the first 12 stitches on the nickel plated, and the last 12 stitches on the wood...for example. But you can certainly put a marker of some kind on the set of stitches that are the beginning stitches of the round)

Here is the video: It isn't as high quality as Amy's KH videos, but the lesson is still served.
Like I said, it "clicked" with me.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote