Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
SusanNW
Casting On

Chevron lace pattern question
I am knitting a sweater with a chevron lace pattern. I believe that I have it figured out except for one thing. The pattern is similar to this for each odd numbered row: K3, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, *k5, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk; repeat from * to last 3 sts, k3. All of the even rows are purled. When I work the purl rows, I come to two stitches that appear to be linked (joined) at the top of the stitch. My question is, do I purl under the link, or do I pull the link down and purl over it? Does this make sense? I have finished my first complete lace pattern (10 rows), and I believe that I have done it both ways,
but I am not sure if it will be obvious in the completed sweater. If I need to redo my 10 rows, I would rather do it now rather than be disappointed in the end. Thank you!
SusanNW is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
Can you look at the pattern stitches from the knit row, name the stitches and tell which ones appear to be linked? You have a knit stitch flanked by yarn overs in the paattern. I'm wondering if the linked sts involve the yarn overs and if perhaps you're pulling the yarn over too tightly? If that's the case, pull the link down and purl into the yarn over and try not to do them so tightly.
I assume that after 10 rows, you're stitch number is coming out correctly?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
SusanNW
Casting On

Yes, thankfully my stitch numbers are correct, and I do believe that the link has to do with my yarn over. I even googled the yarn over to make sure that I was doing it correctly. I did not think that I was pulling the stitch too tightly, but I will loosen them up a bit. Do you think that if I purled under the link it will be noticeable? Thank you very much!
SusanNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
You might take a look at the rows you have so far and see if you can tell a difference or you could do a swatch both ways. Ideally you want to purl into the yarn over and you may need to pull down on the connection to the knit stitch to see that yarn over clearly.
SusanNW (03-23-2013)