Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Antares
Working the Gusset

I normally hold the yarn in my left hand--whichever method that is (I can't ever remember and telling me won't help 'cause I'll promptly forget again); I learned crochet first, and so this method feels the most natural. However, I'm right-handed. When doing colorwork knitting and holding a strand in each hand, I often find it amusing that my usual brilliant right hand hasn't a clue what it's supposed to do. It's forced to humble itself and take a cue from the (normally STOOOOPID) left hand. (I think I've even caught my left hand making mocking, obscene gestures at my right hand--it has to get even somehow, you know!)
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-24-2013), Paulaque (03-24-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
For me, my Continental tension hasn't been affected by learning to knit English. As for speedy knitting, there are English knitters who go really fast. So, if you want to learn Continental one day, great! If you don't, no problem! Enjoying knitting is what matters.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I still rely on Amy's videos when something is just not going well for me. They have saved many a project from me. And no, that is not bad grammar.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

I learned, English style, from my Mom before I started school. Years ago I used to knit, and my mil knit continental style. She was like a darned machine!! I'd never seen it done before and couldn't believe my eyes. Her fingers just flew! She used to crank out fo's like her needles were on fire lol. She thought my way was slow and had a lot of unnecessary "flopping around". When I returned to knitting last year, after more than a 20 year absence, I decided it was a good time to change to continental, since I could hardly remember how to k or p anyway - great opportunity, right? Ha! No way were those left fingers going to participate. I did give it a pretty good try, but their job apparently is to hold the left needle, nothing more.... English seemed so easy, after I stopped batting my head against the continental wall. Congrats to all you ambidextrous knitters - I think you should have some kind of exclusive club, or badge or something
Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
One method is not better than another. Whether you're fast with either method depends on how you wrap and tension the yarn, plus your natural speed. I've seen continental knitters throw the yarn rather than tension it. I've seen English knitters super fast. I was a crocheter who found English was easier so it's personal preference. Now I can knit both ways.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

Anteres!!!
ROFLMAO no kidding, obscene gestures, roaring with laughter!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I normally hold the yarn in my left hand--whichever method that is (I can't ever remember and telling me won't help 'cause I'll promptly forget again); I learned crochet first, and so this method feels the most natural. However, I'm right-handed. When doing colorwork knitting and holding a strand in each hand, I often find it amusing that my usual brilliant right hand hasn't a clue what it's supposed to do. It's forced to humble itself and take a cue from the (normally STOOOOPID) left hand. (I think I've even caught my left hand making mocking, obscene gestures at my right hand--it has to get even somehow, you know!)

I want a ROFL button!
I understand. You know, I bet thre are English knitters who hold the yarn in the right hand sometimes feel similarly about trying to knit Continental. Obscene gestures... So glad there really are no knitting police!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Paulaque (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

Definitely ROFL, Antares. I totally hear you though. When I switched to continental, my left hand had no clue, and now I think my right hand has no clue.
And I just came back from a visit with my niece and nephews where my right handed 11-year-old niece has learned how to knit, kinda backwards (through the back loop). I didn't say anything. Figured if all the stitches were that way it works out.
I then proceeded to attempt to teach my left handed 7 year old nephew how to knit, left handed, English style. I'm right handed. I still don't know whether we were wrapping the yarn in the right direction. I couldn't think of how to do it, I could only do it. Even though I can theoretically do it with both hands.
So, I've come to the conclusion that as far as knitting goes, it really doesn't matter if one hand knows what the other is doing. As long as it works, go with it!
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Congrats! It's always a wonderful thing when we broaden our skills!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Lizar, I think I would have told the 11 yr old what she was doing. It is a stitch, bit it twists it and if she continues she'll have to do the purl differently which will be combination knitting.

It's great they are learning!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Lizars1735 (03-24-2013)