Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

ugh pain :-(
Hey everyone Im new here so thought Id say hi. I am a sort of beginner knitter and I am from the UK. Hi :-)

Ok so, like, I have a problem. I am currently trying to knot a baby blanket for my BFFs baby due in May. She has a baby shower in 2 weeks and I thought the blanket would be an awesome gift for the shower. Now I have a small problem in that I am getting pain in my hands. it started off in my right index finger but thar seemed to have eased and somehow has travelled to my left hand. um....advice please? I do stretches before/after knitting. The only rhing I can think of is this may have happened because of knitting too long and I hadnt realised yikes. Since it started (monday) I havent picked up ny needles and am just resting my hands. Can anyone advise on what I can do. I love knitting and I dont want to stop cos its theraputic and fun and I also need to finish this blanket. Help?

Edited to add I have been putting Ibuprofen gel on but not sure how this would help :/

Last edited by ad2knit : 03-27-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: wanted to add extra
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Hello from across the pond and welcome to KH.

Yeah, it kinda sounds like you might have overdone it. Can you tell that the pain has subsided any since you've stopped knitting for a while?

Often soreness will go away after a few days; however, if the pain hasn't lessened any, you might want to high thee to a doctor to make sure there's nothing wrong there!

When I push myself too hard either typing or knitting and/or crocheting (or any combination of those), my wrists and hands get really sore. I often hold them under a pulsing blast of water in the shower, moving it up and down my wrists and on the palms of my hands. That helps a lot, as does massage--especially if you can get someone else to do the massaging. Other than that, it requires taking a long break to let it heal and then not going at the knitting/typing/crocheting quite so hard--especially without lots of breaks in between sessions.

It's sure frustrating, I know. Perhaps you can give your friend the blanket still on the needles (so she can see it) and then finish it at a more leisurely pace.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

I think giving her the gift on the needles, and then finishing it is an excellent idea, this also shows that you put a lot of time and effort into the process of making the gift instead of buying something commercial. I love this idea!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Hi, there. I'm sorry you're suffering for your art. My hands hurt more when I knitted tighter and my arms got sore too. If your stitches are tight then you have to work harder to knit them and it puts more stress on your hands. You can try knitting looser. For a long time just trying to knit English (I'm a Continental knitter, I hold the yarn in my left hand) made my hands hurt and I'd really tense up all over. I find that washing a sinkful of dishes in water about as hot as I can stand helps my hands. The movements and motions I use to do the dishes while my hands are in the water makes a big difference, probably something like Antares in the shower.

Yeah, don't stress over finishing by the shower. She's your BFF and will love that you're making something for her baby. She won't want you in horrible pain just to be done by the shower.

One more thing: BREATHE. When I get focused and involved in something like learning knitting stitches and patterns I do forget to breathe, do you?

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
AngelaR (03-28-2013), suzeeq (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
One more thing: BREATHE. When I get focused and involved in something like learning knitting stitches and patterns I do forget to breathe, do you?
I breathe just fine when knitting, but I do find myself tensing up. I'm constantly having to tell myself: "Shoulders DOWN." I don't know why I scrunch up shoulders all the time, but it sure makes knitting much more stressful than it ought to be.

Great advice, GG. I'll have to try washing dishes in really hot water: It doesn't waste as much water, and it's more productive than just standing in the shower!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I breathe just fine when knitting, but I do find myself tensing up. I'm constantly having to tell myself: "Shoulders DOWN." I don't know why I scrunch up shoulders all the time, but it sure makes knitting much more stressful than it ought to be.

Great advice, GG. I'll have to try washing dishes in really hot water: It doesn't waste as much water, and it's more productive than just standing in the shower!
The so-called DW in my apt. isn't a DW so I'm constantly having to wash things by hand. IMO a DW isn't necessary for me, if I did dishes for a lot of people it would be different, and I'd really rather do them by hand. Besides, for those who can handle the dishes and stand at the sink (some people can't) it really can be therapeutic. I think a lot of our labor-saving devices aren't all they're cracked up to be. I can finish the dishes by hand much faster than messing around with the DW that then has to be unloaded and that part I really dislike so much I go knit instead. Years ago when I had a sprained thumb I realized how much the hot water in the kitchen sink helped it. I try to get my hands in hot water and move them around every day or so. I still waste water standing in the shower. It just feels so good.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Is the blanket large yet? You'd be surprised how much some things weigh on the needles once you get halfway through them. Perhaps if you can find a way to knit so you're not holding up the blanket with your hands/needles that might help.

Welcome too btw from another across the ponder but living on the "wrong" side of the pond these days!!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

I agree, butlersabroad, I used to hold the knitting up, and my arms would get higher and higher the more rows I did, then one day it got too much, so I dropped it in my lap, it was like dropping a bowling ball! Since then I have come up with my own unique way of sitting, holding my arms, everything so that it is the most comfortable.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!

Do you also work where you have to use a computer all day? That can add to the pain especially for a beginner.

First... What size needles and what yarn weight (worsted, fingering, etc)? What pattern? I agree that knitting too tight can cause unnecessary pain. So you need to match needle size to the gauge unless otherwise called for in a pattern.

Give your hands a break every half hour or so and don't overdo it. Warm water helps as mentioned.

Re: Dishwasher...couldn't live without mine. I have enough dishes so when there is only two of us I only do it twice a week or less. There are 4 of us here for a few months so it's getting run every 2-3 days. In my case I save water by using a short cycle and can wash a lot of dishes. I still have plenty of hand washing every day, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (03-27-2013), Paulaque (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,982 Posts
Hi and welcome to KH!
Lots of suggestions and good questions about the pattern, yarn and needles. I'm just wondering if you're using circular needles for this baby blanket? They take the strain off your hands and wrists to some extent.
ad2knit (03-27-2013), Paulaque (03-27-2013)