Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Gingerella72
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern Help - weave seam from neck to shaping on dog sweater
I'm back once again with another question about the neverending dog sweater!

Alrighty. Below is a photo of what I have so far.

The bottom of the photo is the Neck Ribbing. What is on the needle at the top is called the Shaping in the pattern.

Pattern:

page 2

Ok. So I'm on page 2 and have just finished the Shaping and am ready for the part where it says to Weave seam from Neck to Shaping. That's what confuses me - is it saying to literally take the bottom neck ribbing and weave it onto the stitches already on the needle (shaping)? That's the way it reads to me, but looking at the laid out sweater, it makes more sense to weave the left side to the right side because the next step is to take it to a circular needle to make it 'tube shaped'.

How to proceed?

Last edited by Gingerella72 : 03-31-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Gingerella72 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,000 Times in 2,513 Posts
Is this a pullover? It looks to me as if you are to seam from the top edge of the neck ribbing to where the shaping begins. This would give you a tube that ends where the angle starts. The seam would be on the bottom, between the dog's legs, the angled part would be flat to cover more of the back. That's my interpretation of the weaving anyhow. I may be wrong and if so someone else will give you better input.

It's looking good!

You might have posted too much of the pattern and will want to consider editing you post accordingly. A mod will know.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Gingerella72 (03-31-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,979 Posts
"It looks to me as if you are to seam from the top edge of the neck ribbing to where the shaping begins. This would give you a tube that ends where the angle starts. The seam would be on the bottom, between the dog's legs, the angled part would be flat to cover more of the back."

Yes, that's what I would do too. You only need the seam from the beginning of the neck to the cast off of 6 (9,12,14)sts. Then it's open from there on till you get to the sts on the needle. They're being held for the trim or ribbing which is knit in the round. It's going to be a great looking dog sweater!
(If you can delete page one of the pattern, it would be best. It'll help us avoid copyright issues.)
Gingerella72 (03-31-2013), GrumpyGramma (03-30-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Gingerella72
Ribbing the Cuff

So I'm pulling the pieces together from left side to right side, not bottom to top? I think I was literally interpreting it that I was supposed to weave the bottom onto the stitches remaining on the needle. "weave seam from neck TO shaping". So it's weave the seam, starting from the neck up TO where the shaping starts. Right? They sure worded that awkwardly, lol.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Gingerella72
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok, another question. In the photo you see that the whole piece angles outward up from the neck ribbing. So when I bring the pieces together it doesn't match up straight and even. Do I weave it like that? Wouldn't doing so create a huge gap where the weaving will be very obvious?
Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I don't see where you'd end up with a gap. I'd use mattress stitch. If you lay the piece out RS down and fold the edges to meet at the center (at this point you'll be looking at the RS) you can then start seaming at the top of the neck ribbing. As you pull the seam snug to close up the gap between the edges and then move on down the body of the sweater you will get an angled seam, pulled closed, that will give you a tube that looks more or less seamless. I hope this makes sense. I hope I'm addressing what you don't understand.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Gingerella72
Ribbing the Cuff

This is what I mean by a gap: when I bring the top edges together they fit but I can't bring the two sides of the neck together because it angles out.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

From what I see, you just need to pull the edges together. If you start seaming at one end or other, at the neck edge or at the other end, and just keep seaming, it will all pull together. It looks like you have it pinned and if so, maybe you should just get some yarn on a needle and go for it. If you need to pull it out it's not difficult to do. If you have started the seaming, just continue on as before. It will come together, have faith! It gets smaller as it goes toward the neck, that's supposed to happen. The other way to look at it is that it gets wider as it moves away from the neck.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Gingerella72 (03-31-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Gingerella72
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm really struggling with this! I'm fine with seaming the ribbing, but when I get to the increase stitches that curve outward, I'm having trouble finding which stitch I'm supposed to put the needle through because it's not a straight edge. On the curved part each row has an increase stitch on the end and the running stitch between the V that I'm supposed to be using (at least according to the mattress stitch video) isn't there.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,979 Posts
There are a couple of things that you can do here. Perhaps the simplest is to pass the yarn through one edge to the wrong side (the side that will be on the inside of the finished sweater) and work a conventional seam. Put the two right sides (the sides that will be facing out on the finished sweater) together and seam with a running backstitch(two stitches forward, one stitch back). You can pin the two sides in place to make it easier to hold the edges in place.
If you do increases or decreases one or two sts in from the edge in the future, it'll make seaming especially mattress stitch seams much easier.
This sweater is really coming along beautifully and will look handsome, I'm sure on your dog. We'd love to see it modeled if you'd care to post a photo.
Gingerella72 (04-01-2013)