Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Patience61
Casting On

New to knitting sweaters, stuck on joining shoulders and knitting neckband
Please help!
I'm new at knitting sweaters and picked a beautiful Newfoundland pullover pattern. I've done pretty good until I reached the shoulders and neckband. I can't figure out how to join the shoulders and continue on with the neckband.

I don't know which side is being referred to when it states with right side facing of left back shoulder? or with needles aligned ? etc ...

I don't know if there are too many questions here but I just need somewhere to start

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Attached Images:

Attached Files:
Patience61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The left side would be as you wear it, so you would hold it with the RS out looking at the back neck or left side of it. I can't get your word doc to open so you may need to copy the rows where it tells you to join the shoulders and work the neckband.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Patience61 (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Patience61
Casting On

pattern reads
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
The left side would be as you wear it, so you would hold it with the RS out looking at the back neck or left side of it. I can't get your word doc to open so you may need to copy the rows where it tells you to join the shoulders and work the neckband.
to join left shoulder: with RS facing and needle point ending up at shoulder edge, slip 40 sts of left back shoulder onto larger needle, slip 40 sts of left front shoulder onto second larger needle. with RS's together and needles aligned, hold front against back in left hand. Beg at shoulder edge with smaller needle, use yarn to ktog first st from front & first st from back (ktog 1 st from front & 1 st from back, cast off 1 st) to end of row, Fasten off. (replace right for right shoulder)

neckband: with RS facing, MC and smaller needles, pick up & knit 7 sts down right back neck, 23 sts across centre back, 7 sts up left back neck, 23 sts down left front neck, 15 across centre front and 23 sts up right front neck. 98 sts now on needle. Join CC ans work 7 rows of ribbing as given. Fasten off MC. Cast off loosely in ribbing. Fasten off; break yarn, leaving 50 cm tail.

Finish: sew neckband. place markers 28.5 cm down from shoulder seams on front and back; sew cast-off sleeve edges between markers. sew side and sleeve seams. pint to measurements; block

Sorry it's so long and THANK YOU very much.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,349 Times in 3,033 Posts
Hi and welcome to KH!
RS means the outside or public side of the knitting. The directions are for the 3-needle bind off which is shown in this video and is a wonderful bind off to use, neat and sturdy.
There's also a video for picking up sts around the neck that may help once you have the RS/WS and left shoulder/right shoulder down.
Gorgeous sweater. It would be lovely to see a photo of your finished version.
Patience61 (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Patience61
Casting On

Thank you!
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Hi and welcome to KH!
RS means the outside or public side of the knitting. The directions are for the 3-needle bind off which is shown in this video and is a wonderful bind off to use, neat and sturdy.
There's also a video for picking up sts around the neck that may help once you have the RS/WS and left shoulder/right shoulder down.
Gorgeous sweater. It would be lovely to see a photo of your finished version.
Thank you very much! I'm going to give it a whirl ... When I manage to finish it, I'll definetly post a picture.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Patience61
Casting On

Me again !!!
Originally Posted by Patience61 View Post
Thank you very much! I'm going to give it a whirl ... When I manage to finish it, I'll definetly post a picture.
I managed to join the shoulder following the video suggested and it was great! Thank you very much .... But, now I am going to attempt the neck band and ... OMG, I just can't figure it out?

The way I read the instructions, if I pick up 7 sts, the 23 sts from holder, pick up 7 sts from the back and continue to pick up 23 sts down front, add 15 sts from holder and pick up another 23 sts to total 98 sts on my needle, won't I be knitting the hole for the head closed?

Sorry but I am soooo confused at the moment. Any direction to set me straight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,062 Times in 2,574 Posts
Picking up stitches around the neck opening won't close it. You'll have stitches to begin working flat to form a band across the entire neck opening that will become a circle when you join the right shoulder. Try picking up the stitches as directed to see what happens. Sometimes it makes no sense until you actually do it; I know that's true for me.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Patience61 (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,349 Times in 3,033 Posts
Here's a nice video that shows picking up sts around a neck that has been joined at both shoulders so the collar is knit in the round. There aren't sts on holders but you'll just knit those sts off the holder as if it were the left needle.
Patience61 (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Patience61
Casting On

Originally Posted by Patience61 View Post

I managed to join the shoulder following the video suggested and it was great! Thank you very much .... But, now I am going to attempt the neck band and ... OMG, I just can't figure it out?

The way I read the instructions, if I pick up 7 sts, the 23 sts from holder, pick up 7 sts from the back and continue to pick up 23 sts down front, add 15 sts from holder and pick up another 23 sts to total 98 sts on my needle, won't I be knitting the hole for the head closed?

Sorry but I am soooo confused at the moment. Any direction to set me straight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

I was wondering about that after I posted my question but I think I'm just overthinking this sweater way too much.

I'm going to get started on it to see how I manage.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Patience61
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Here's a nice video that shows picking up sts around a neck that has been joined at both shoulders so the collar is knit in the round. There aren't sts on holders but you'll just knit those sts off the holder as if it were the left needle.
Thank you very much for the video. It was very informative. I think my sweater will look great once I attempt this.