Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I agree. I mostly use my nickel plated, but I have some of both harmony and sunstruck and like them.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-05-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
The light color was why I went with the Sunstrucks. So far I've not had a problem with seeing any color yarn against them.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
butlersabroad (04-05-2013), N0obKnitter (04-05-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,476 Times in 527 Posts
We've been selling Denise interchangeable sets in our store for the past 8 years or so. They have changed a bit during that time. I know early on they had rougher needles and occasional seams. But these days, the needles are very smooth. The smaller sizes that make up the right side of the case are glossy in appearance. They will never be as smooth as metal, but they are certainly smoother than bamboo. The tips are a bit blunter than say KnitPicks, but no blunter than KA, Clover, or ChiaoGoo wood or bamboo needles. I knit continental style and don't feel the blunter tips slow me down. I find with the KP needles, my finger tip gets sore after a while.

The cable themselves, while thicker, are remarkably flexible in our opinion. Amy likes the set because this is the only set (that we are aware of) in which you can create a 17-inch needle and comfortably knit from it. 17-inch being a very convenient size for knitting many common items such as hats. The thickness of the cables would be a challenge with magic loop knitting, where a thinner cable would be an advantage.

Amy and I both knit a fair amount on Denise needles. I have a Denise2Go kit which I really enjoy using. I'm sure we have sold over 1000 sets and I can count on one hand the number of returns we have had. So I know there are fans out there. But these days there are also a lot of choices and each appeal to people in different ways. It's all really a matter of preference and what you like.

On important reason we choose to carry Denise needles is that they are the only manufactured interchangeable needles that are made completely in the USA. Everything else is made in India or China. The Denise company is a wonderful family run business located in Virginia and always a pleasure to talk to and very accommodating. We feel good supporting them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-08-2013), Jan in CA (04-08-2013), N0obKnitter (04-09-2013), Sewing Angel (04-09-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by sheldon View Post
I find with the KP needles, my finger tip gets sore after a while.
Ditto that! I like the tips of the Denise needles, and I like how quiet they are.

The cable themselves, while thicker, are remarkably flexible...
Ditto that! I never had an issue with the flexibility of the Denise cables. And in addition to that, I love how they attach to the needle tips. Very very easy...and no coming apart as you knit!

On important reason we choose to carry Denise needles is that they are the only manufactured interchangeable needles that are made completely in the USA. Everything else is made in India or China. The Denise company is a wonderful family run business located in Virginia and always a pleasure to talk to and very accommodating. We feel good supporting them
I will second that as well!

I have to confess, whereas I mostly use Addis, KP's and Signature Needles...I haven't given up on my Denise set. There are many times when all the others aren't quite it.

I'm a speed knitter, so for obvious reasons, metal is quicker for me...but speed isn't everything.

I have Crystal Palace bamboo set-circs, and a few miscellaneous wood set-circs...and I use them as well, when the occasion calls for it.

My Denise set is the original light grey tips with dark blue cords. It still have a place of honor in my knitting needles arsenal.

Sheldon...happy to hear that Denise has made improvements...but honestly...my set needs no improvement.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Made in USA = awesome!

I'm intrigued again. Rut roh.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I have a couple of sets of Denise needles as well as Knitpicks and a bunch of assorted needles. I enjoy using the Denise for worsted weight yarn and bigger. There, the cable is actually an advantage. I also think the needles are easier on the hands. I would not use them for lace or for magic loop, but on the other hand I prefer them over the smaller cable sets for bigger yarn.
N0obKnitter (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
I have, um, three sets of interchangeable needles:

Addiclicks (had those since 2010.)
KP nickle and the zephyr plastic ones

(This does not include my numerous straights, dozens of bamboo dpns from ebay or my set of KP sock needles!)

I'm eyeballing the Denise needles now. Me like colour!

Too much? .:O
I'd have to say that just as there's no such thing as too much yarn, there's no such thing as too many needles.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-09-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I have two sets of Denise needles, and love them. I also have a set of Boye interchangeables, and use them if the pattern calls for a needle size which is not part of my Denise sets. I prefer the Denise needles, though, because I have arthritis, and the Denise needles are very easy for me to put together.

I also use plenty of straights and dpns and fixed circular needles. I have all kinds, and usually try about 3 or 4 different kinds with each new yarn I work with. Yarns are so varied, and they require different kinds of needles when knitting with them.

So, I think you should just enjoy buying all the needles you want!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

It occurred to me that I don't get manicures or go to hair salons. Heck, I don't wear makeup, either. Also, my husband has 235534543323 tools, some for cycling. Tools are useful, right?

Kinda like how when my mom quit smoking, she had more $ to buy craft stuff. :-)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Exactly! My DH does ceramics, sails, woodworking, etc. He knows the importance of tools and rarely says anything when I ask. I think you should get whatever type of needle you want. There does seem to be a market for all of them even ones I don't care for myself so you may love them.

Don't forget that KH has Denise and soon the Webs ones so support them if you can.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-12-2013)