Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
What size needles have you been using lately? Maybe try some really thick chunky yarn and size 13 or larger needles? If I couldn't knit comfortably with sock yarn and toothpick sized needles or even regular worsted #4 yarn and 8 or 9 needles, I'd do fatter yarn and needles. Whatever it takes.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I actually take turmeric now (I'm in my 30's) preventatively. It's anti-inflammatory, and inflammation contributes to the formation of arthritis. Since allergies cause inflammation, I figure my body is always going to be somewhat inflamed, so this is my way of preventing the damage of that! I also read recently that turmeric is thought to be the reason behind fewer instances of Alzheimers in heavy curry-eating regions of India.

Ad2Knit, I hope you find out more about what the cause is. If it feels like tight, seizing muscles, then that would be tension in holding the needle, as Jan says. But if it's joint pain, that's something else. And not necessarily arthritis. My joints actually ache when I eat dairy, as GG just said! (although for me it has to be a lot of dairy to feel the symptom). That, I believe, is also an inflammation response. Allergies cause inflammation. Turmeric can't hurt, I say!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amy For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #33
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
What size needles have you been using lately? Maybe try some really thick chunky yarn and size 13 or larger needles? If I couldn't knit comfortably with sock yarn and toothpick sized needles or even regular worsted #4 yarn and 8 or 9 needles, I'd do fatter yarn and needles. Whatever it takes.
hey GG. i am using 4.5mm needles with this yarn Robin Bonnie Babe
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #34
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
That looks about right for that yarn. Had to look up a conversion chart. If your knitting is a little tight a US 8 or 9 may be good, too. Looser tends to be less painful if you're not using a death grip.

BTW I find those big needles really hard on my hands. I never use needles above a 10 or so.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #35
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Any living creature can get arthritis, in particular rheumatoid arthritis, because that is caused by a glitch in the immune system. That is thankfully relatively rare.

But any trauma or bad body mechanics can cause arthritis. I was a marathon runner in my 20s (loved it!) By my 30s? I had arthritis in my knees AND spine. The spine isn't too bad, but I have had 3 knee operations and have hardly any cartilage left in one. That pain (and the first operation) happened in my late 20s. The arthritis in question was caused by bad genetics; I had perfect, healthy feet for running, but I had loose joints in general, and tight lateral ligaments that pulled my kneecaps slightly out of line. A little running would have been OK, but a lot? Knee joint surfaces like hamburger!

I am almost 58 now, and I still ski, hike, ride a mountain bike and can walk miles w/o too much pain, but I eat a low-inflammation diet and keep my weight down-for every 10 pounds that you are overweight, you get 30 pounds of extra force on your knees.

Hands didn't start hurting until about age 50, but I didn't really beat them up too much One pinky got busted playing basketball and has miserable arthritis, and the bases of my thumbs are pretty touchy. But I have to say that all the pain I experienced from knitting was BEFORE I got the right knitting set-up-slidy needles and the right tension and cable lengths so I wasn't dragging the yarn across the needles. I was pretty bummed by pain and numbness for several weeks, but with new slick needles and loosening my death grip on everything, my hands are doing pretty well.

I also like turmeric, alpha lipioic acid, devil's claw, glucosamine and occasional Advil. I actually LOVE Advil Liquigels, but I bleed and bruise easily, so too much of that and I look like I've been in a bar fight! Too much advil or motrin or aleve can cause stomach bleeding and kidney damage, so..... lots of the time I just stretch, use a microwave corn bag and try to think about something else!

Wow! That's a Gone With the Wind answer, but I hope you figure it all out. Your doc should help, if she's any good.

Last edited by jinxnit55 : 04-10-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Left out some punctuation.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-11-2013), GrumpyGramma (04-10-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #36
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for that helpful post.

Got an appt this morning and if I am totally honest my docs are totes rubbish most of the time so I try to avoid going if at all possible...meh.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 AM   #37
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That looks about right for that yarn. Had to look up a conversion chart. If your knitting is a little tight a US 8 or 9 may be good, too. Looser tends to be less painful if you're not using a death grip.
wont that make my squares look...odd and somewhat bigger compared to my squares I have just knit?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #38
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

UPDATE - there is nothing wrong with me - apparently
So i went to the Docs and she told me she couldn't see anything wrong with my hands - no swellling or anything - and then she told me to rest my hands for a while and to put ibuprofen gel 3 times a day. I swear that she must have thought i was a complete idiot because thats what i felt like when i walked out. I hate the docs in my surgery they are all horrible.

To sum up I can still knit. So - perhaps you all can advise me on what to do now? Like how long should i rest my hands for? Cos i do rest them and when i don't feel any pain i knit but then that causes the problem again. And what can i do to AVOID the problem?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #39
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

No one? OK....guess everyone's bored of me lol
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #40
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
I can only suggest that you work on knitting looser and try different ways of holding the yarn. It all comes down to personal experimentation and coming up with what works. I think you said you use bamboo needles, more slippery needles might help. The point is to reduce the strain on your hands in any way you can. If you've not tried the Portugese knitting, you might give it a go. My hands are feeling stiffish this morning so I think I'll wash dishes by hand before I knit today.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote