Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #61
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel
 
jinxnit55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Truckee, Calif.
Posts: 671
Thanks: 295
Thanked 281 Times in 253 Posts
Thanks for the knitting stretches, they look GREAT! Stretching any part of the body is almost always a good thing.

I "learned" to type on IBM Selectrics! "learned" because I still use my 2 third fingers to hunt and peck, and am surprisingly fast. I took typing in summer school when I was a junior in high school, and got a "courtesy D." Tried again in junior college. They timed us, and for some reason that really rattled me! After 90 seconds I would be bouncing up and down in my chair, my hands would no longer be on the home row, and the page was full of gibberish. I dropped the class, with the instructor saying, "You'll NEVER be a secretary!" So I went to medical school instead. And guess what! I still have to type because we put the notes on computers! Sigh...... I tried the dictation thing called 'Dragon,' but I would say, "patient had pap smear today," and it would come out like "patient had Pabst beer today." So I hunt and peck away. My brain just goes faster than my hands, I guess.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #62
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel
 
jinxnit55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Truckee, Calif.
Posts: 671
Thanks: 295
Thanked 281 Times in 253 Posts
That's right, you Brits have National Health Service! Do you have to go to a certain doctor? Could you go to a specialist if you needed to? Here in the states we call them Physical Medicine and Rehab (PMR) docs.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #63
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 223
Thanks: 75
Thanked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
If you're knitting somewhere where you don't have good back support, then that could be causing problems, too.

Do you have a recliner or a couch you can relax and knit on. I almost always knit in my recliner. Of course, that doesn't automatically mean I'm relaxed (I still have to tell my shoulders, "DOWN!"), but I'm much more relaxed there than, say, sitting on my bed with no (or poor) back support.

Hope something will work for you!
See if I knit on the couch i slouch. now thats not good for posture surely? :/

just found this....advice I should follow lol http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/FEATloosenup.html
__________________
VISIT ME AT - DiaryofaBeginnerKnitter

Last edited by ad2knit : 04-12-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added link
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #64
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 223
Thanks: 75
Thanked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
That's right, you Brits have National Health Service! Do you have to go to a certain doctor? Could you go to a specialist if you needed to? Here in the states we call them Physical Medicine and Rehab (PMR) docs.
Docs refer us to the specialist...unless we go private
__________________
VISIT ME AT - DiaryofaBeginnerKnitter
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #65
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 36,970
Thanks: 1,637
Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
That's funny, Jinx! Are you a physician now? My daughters fiancÚ just got into school to be a PA.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~


Last edited by Jan in CA : 04-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #66
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Paulaque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 174
Thanks: 135
Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
LOL
my first typewriter was a Buddy L model (it was a toy that was actually a typewriter, it was fully functional) that my ma bought me at a yardsale when I was 5 years old. By the time I took typing in high school, I typed 124 wpm, and my typing teacher could only type 85 wpm. She was asking me for tips! Now, because of the RA and arthritis, I can peck out a pitiful 60 wpm on a "good" day. But, I refuse to stop trying. I play mavis beacon every day for at least an hour, it is my addiction...

I knit sitting indian style in my recliner, with my elbows resting on my knees, slouched over, I know it is not good posture, but I have scoliosis, so my posture is never going to be right
__________________
I made an airplane out of stone, I always did like staying at home- Silverstein
Paulaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #67
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 223
Thanks: 75
Thanked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulaque View Post
my first typewriter was a Buddy L model (it was a toy that was actually a typewriter, it was fully functional) that my ma bought me at a yardsale when I was 5 years old. By the time I took typing in high school, I typed 124 wpm, and my typing teacher could only type 85 wpm. She was asking me for tips! Now, because of the RA and arthritis, I can peck out a pitiful 60 wpm on a "good" day. But, I refuse to stop trying. I play mavis beacon every day for at least an hour, it is my addiction...

I knit sitting indian style in my recliner, with my elbows resting on my knees, slouched over, I know it is not good posture, but I have scoliosis, so my posture is never going to be right
I had a friend at school with scoliosis. Just wanted to say that, not sure why lol!

Update trying to knit looser and i think its helping - not much pain in these fingers this morning - but I'm not holding my breath..instead i shall just hope I fixed the problem lol

Paula...what is indian style knitting? Show me a vid?
__________________
VISIT ME AT - DiaryofaBeginnerKnitter
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #68
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,697
Thanks: 1,713
Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,307 Posts
Not holding your breath is good! It's surprising to me every time I realize I was holding my breath while working on something. It really doesn't help. I knew 2 girls, sisters, with scoliosis that wore funny braces with a chin rest type of thing. I hope the braces helped. I think Paulaque was referring to how she sits, not a style of knitting. Think snake charmer or yoga style positions. I can't pretzel myself like that.
__________________
~ GG



You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-12-2013), Paulaque (04-13-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #69
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 36,970
Thanks: 1,637
Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
When we older folks were kids, before political correctness took over, we had to sit "Indian style" if we were on the floor. It's just sitting with your legs folded and crossed. It's not a knitting style. My teacher daughter says they now have to call it "criss cross applesauce".

Keep practicing the loose knitting. No tugging, no death grips, just relax. If it looks a bit messy it's okay. Your tension will come as you get used to it. Don't forget to still take little breaks.

Also get some wood circs with a flexible cable ay some point to try them.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #70
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 223
Thanks: 75
Thanked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Not holding your breath is good! It's surprising to me every time I realize I was holding my breath while working on something. It really doesn't help. I knew 2 girls, sisters, with scoliosis that wore funny braces with a chin rest type of thing. I hope the braces helped. I think Paulaque was referring to how she sits, not a style of knitting. Think snake charmer or yoga style positions. I can't pretzel myself like that.
No when I said not holding my breath i didn't mean i was actually holding my breath...oh...i just meant..oh never mind lol

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
When we older folks were kids, before political correctness took over, we had to sit "Indian style" if we were on the floor. It's just sitting with your legs folded and crossed. It's not a knitting style. My teacher daughter says they now have to call it "criss cross applesauce".

Keep practicing the loose knitting. No tugging, no death grips, just relax. If it looks a bit messy it's okay. Your tension will come as you get used to it. Don't forget to still take little breaks.

Also get some wood circs with a flexible cable ay some point to try them.
it already looks slightly messy. I hope it doesn't ruin the blanket in some way...I am hoping when i finish i can use the ends to weave through the messyness and hope it disguises it. It already looks like i dropped a stitch even though I haven't cos i have all the stitches on my needle!
__________________
VISIT ME AT - DiaryofaBeginnerKnitter
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frustrated with Getknitted.com-HAPPY HAPPY UPDATE KnittingNat General Knitting 40 02-16-2008 05:23 AM
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza to everyone!! losnana The Lounge 12 12-23-2007 12:32 PM
HAPPY HAPPY: I just got 2 new books, Indigo Knits &... VictoiseC General Knitting 0 11-29-2007 01:11 PM
Big Box of Happy.... brendajos General Knitting 26 04-11-2007 07:25 PM
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY (YARN SWIFT OMG) VictoiseC General Knitting 14 06-20-2006 06:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.